electrical issue. no spark or lights

scotj77

Feb 11, 2010
Orlando, fl
Ok so far i have gone through the entire wiring harness and deleted all the wires not needed. this is a 98 blaster not mine. what i have left is

key switch- black to cdi and black/white wires hooked into line with the rest of the black/white wires

Handel bar switch- on/run black ground and black/white wires
yellow/red wire to stator with tied in blue wire to voltage regulator
yellow and green wire to headlight with black ground

Ground wires are grounded at the front of the quad and at the coil with freshly cleaned mounting points and checked for continuity.

cdi box is hooked up color coordinated to the stator and coil and black wire to the main key switch

stator ohms out within specs

all wires checked for continuity and visually inspected for rubbed spots

coil and cap have been ohm'd out and are within specs also.

I have changed the cdi out with a working cdi. still nothing.

any input?????

I have also switched out plugs, flywheels voltage regulators with known working ones to no avail

time to pull that stator and coil/cap out of your bike.

already pulled the coil off miine did absolutely nuthin. i have 2 other working stators that ohm out properly. still nothing

again....
time to pull that known working stator from your bike.
c'mon, it's for cuzzin steve-o, LOL

try all your electrical parts on it at the same time, if still nothing, it's gotta be in the harness or grounds

I hooked the whole harness to my quad. i got no spark but the headlight lit up well. still puzzled. and still testing stuff

If your headlight lit up, switch the wires for the stator. Stator has 2 coils, one for electrics, one for ignition. Ive done this on mine to troubleshoot. If you get spark and it runs after you switch it, you got other problems.

Have you tried ohming the wire for continuity between the stator and the positive of the coil (the orange wire at the coil)?

Have you put a DMM on it and kicked it to see what kind of voltage you get?

Alright got a new cdi today. no go!!! this sux. everything seems to be right. still testing. got a whole nother harness i'm testing right now.

yes i have checked the continuity from the stator to the end of the orange wire. and yes i have continuity. I also checked voltage when i kicked it I do get some power to the orange wire but none out of the spark plug wire. my multimeter isn't a great one but it works. I will try swaping the stator coil wires over to the headlight to see if i get anything.

ok this fuggin sucks dirty monkey but!!!!!!!!! I built a 100% brand new wireing harness today, including the ground harness. all new wires all new connectors and solder'd the spots on the black ground, yellow/red and the blue, black/white wires where the wires are linked into each other. heatshrinked everything, i have power to the headlight, stator ohms perfect, ignition coil ohms perfect, and the spark plug boot, cdi replaced, blah blah blah. replaced and tested everything!!!! no f*cking spark!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME!! got 2 days and for god sakes the GROUNDS are good! everything sanded to bare metal new bolts, no corrotion issue

have you tried that known working stator and flywheel out of your bike ?
forget them tests and ohms, i've seen them ohm out and not work,
and i know you have at least one stator returned to you that was reported not to work in the bike

grasping for straws here...........
not sure this is needed ?, does the motor need to be grounded to the frame ? is the fresh paint keeping it from being grounding at the mounts ?
is there ground continuity between the motor and frame ?

ok this fuggin sucks dirty monkey but!!!!!!!!! I built a 100% brand new wireing harness today, including the ground harness. all new wires all new connectors and solder'd the spots on the black ground, yellow/red and the blue, black/white wires where the wires are linked into each other. heatshrinked everything, i have power to the headlight, stator ohms perfect, ignition coil ohms perfect, and the spark plug boot, cdi replaced, blah blah blah. replaced and tested everything!!!! no f**cking spark!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME!! got 2 days and for god sakes the GROUNDS are good! everything sanded to bare metal new bolts, no corrotion issue

this one says it AWK

Post # 10 on the First page

( the GROUNDS are good! everything sanded to bare metal new bolts, no corrotion issue) Quote from said Post

he's talkin about the grounds in the wiring harness, none of those go onto the motor,
i was talkin the motor mount bolts that may or may not be needed to ground the engine case to the frame ???

have you tried that known working stator and flywheel out of your bike ?
forget them tests and ohms, i've seen them ohm out and not work,
and i know you have at least one stator returned to you that was reported not to work in the bike

no that stator came to me in pieces it is just in the scrap drawer. I have 3 stators. steve's origional that i do not trust, one off a parts quad that i would say probably runs and then a stator off a bike that i am working on that was running but in need of a rebuild. only stator i haven't tried on his is mine. guess i have to.

one strange thing happend though. I was testing the power output of the orange wire when it was kicked over. getting a pretty good reading and it zapped me. so i went and got my coil off of my bike and changed the coil out real quick. nuthin