DIY racelogic porting

Arnold

Jun 29, 2012
Brattleboro, vt
Here are a few pics of my porting job so far.
My exhaust port opened up, (not polished yet)
8258-exhaust-opened-up.jpg

8257-exhaust-port-opened-up-not-polished-yet.jpg

Intake template overlay
8259-template-overlay.jpg

side by side comparison
8255-side-side-comparison.jpg

8256-side-side.jpg

Looking good so far !! Is there any changes to transfers? Wish you had pic of ex with lines scribed. Did it raise ex any? And if so about how much? Have you started on transfer tunnels at base of cylinder? You going to port match them to a gasket? As you blend the ex towards the flange, open it up to inside dia of gasket.

Gonna give ya some GREEN !! for doing it !!! I:I B) I:I

nice work arnold !!!
keep the pics coming as this progresses.
the templates make it nice for first timers ha ?

No changes to the transfers. I cleaned up the transfers last year n I already did the port match to the base gasket in both the case and cylinder. It did raise the exhaust port a bit, my guess would be about 2 mm, hard to say though cause when I polished it last year I raised the exhaust port 1 km on my own (followed kens video instructions last year) and I did open the exhaust to match the gasket last year.

Reactions: bummer981
Ah, I see. When I did mine the ex got raised a bit to match the liner and port to eliminate the hump/bump between the two. It's amazing how much alittle can be :eek: I:I

Arnold, be sure to properly chamfer the ports when your done. Everything is looking really good. If your running the stock Mikuni VM26,your going to have to jump up 12 to 15 jet sizes on the main. Your going to be very,VERY surprised by the outcome after you get everything jetted correctly.

Be careful with porting,because its a sickness! TRUST ME!...even the weed wacker isn't safe!!!
The next thing your going to be doing is buying all kinds of extra cylinders and heads,purchasing rolls of magnetic backed paper to make your own porting templates, staying up till 3:00 am creating your own port maps,making and collecting port maps from different cylinders,cutting up many cylinders to see "what is where" and how thick things are in certain areas, buying MULTIPLE styles of rotory files and sanding drums, you'll stop watching TV,start building a custom porting stand to hold your work,designing a lighting system to "get in there just right",building a flow bech to test air flow,purchasing porting software, Testing different head designs almost EVERY weekend,having the old lady growling at you because your not spending enough time with her, Cross sectioning heads with a milwaukee port-a-band to see where the "meat" is, stop shaving for 10 days at a time,constantly checking tempuratures with a laser guided infrared thermometer on the "test" rides,keeping a (thick) note book with all your discoveries and falures, "trying" to find an inexpensive (still looking) FLIR camera to map heated areas ,making more room on the "other" work bench for more cylinders and heads that are up for the "next" idea,etc,etc

I'm sure I missed a few things in that list....

CAUTION! Its a sickness!

100_4478_01_zpsecf0d01d.jpg

Last edited:
hahaha true that Joe. before i knew much about porting, i tore apart a chainsaw that had burnt up, sanded the piston and cylinder enough to get it to slide freely again, and began porting. apparently a chainsaw needs that mid-range, i now have a chainsaw that needs a high end pipe hahaha.

two strokes are definitely a sickness with porting, seeing as how changing port sizes is effectively like changing a cam in a 4 stroke, plus u gotta get the port timing right for what pipe u wanna run. sooo much math..... haha

Arnold, be sure to properly chamfer the ports when your done. Everything is looking really good. If your running the stock Mikuni VM26,your going to have to jump up 12 to 15 jet sizes on the main. Your going to be very,VERY surprised by the outcome after you get everything jetted correctly.

Be careful with porting,because its a sickness! TRUST ME!...even the weed wacker isn't safe!!!
The next thing your going to be doing is buying all kinds of extra cylinders and heads,purchasing rolls of magnetic backed paper to make your own porting templates, staying up till 3:00 am creating your own port maps,making and collecting port maps from different cylinders, cutting up many cylinders to see "what is where" and how thick things are in certain areas, buying MULTIPLE styles of rotory files and sanding drums, you'll stop watching TV,start building a custom porting stand to hold your work,designing a lighting system to "get in there just right",building a flow bech to test air flow,purchasing porting software, Testing different head designs almost EVERY weekend,having the old lady growling at you because your not spending enough time with her, Cross sectioning heads with a milwaukee port-a-band to see where the "meat" is, stop shaving for 10 days at a time,constantly checking tempuratures with a laser guided infrared thermometer on the "test" rides,keeping a (thick) note book with all your discoveries and falures, "trying" to find an inexpensive (still looking) FLIR camera to map heated areas ,making more room on the "other" work bench for more cylinders and heads that are up for the "next" idea,etc,etc

I'm sure I missed a few things in that list....

CAUTION! Its a sickness!

100_4478_01_zpsecf0d01d.jpg

That ^^^ is part of the "reason" I posted "Eye Candy" in general off topic. Several different Yammy cyl, all from about same time the Blaster might have been developed. Several good cut-aways also. Lots of views, few comments :( guess not many are as motorheaded as me I:I, I like to look and speculate as to the hows and whys of factory engineers. Seven transfers as opposed to Blasters five.

Lmao..so true though.. its the gear head in ya.. and i agree even the weed wacker isnt safe, even the chain saw to... now if i could only get my two boys into things like this i could call it family time.. well they cut the baseball in half the other day to see the inside and what it was so there is hope..

I am sorry for the delay in updated pics, I have the other window opened up im just working on cleaning up the intake now. I only get to work on it about 20 min at a time. I should have it finished by the end of the weekend I hope so I can move on to finishing up the frame and get it sandblasted and painted so I can fit it all back together to make sure all of my mods are going to work out.

finally got the other window open and got the bridge and everything smoothed out. I still have to finish polishing the exhaust port and chamfer so here are the pics.

8288-intake-done.jpg

8289-intake-done1.jpg

8290-intake-done2.jpg

What do you all think? How is the quality for a first timer?

very nice work arnold !!!
i've seen way worse by someone with supposedly way more experience :)

Thanks awk I am thinking of starting my own shop on the side and I would like to make sure that my quality of work is up there. If I do any more of these though I will be buying a right angle grinder though to make it much easier on myself