Did I kill my spark?

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
So I finally got everything together, tried to get her going for heat cycles and nothing. I pulled the plug and held it against the head and pushed the kicker and nothing. My tester is on a job so I won't get that til Monday prob. Just trying to eliminate anything I did wrong. Before my rebuild it ran. When I got it the lights and the key switch wires were all cut. I finished eliminating the tors and then eliminated the kill switch and hooked the wires from the kill switch to a new key switch. At least I think it was the right wires, they are black/white and black. It was about 6 months from time I took the wiring apart until I put the key switch in. Tried the key in each position and unhooked. Cleaned the coil where it contacts frame and the paint off the frame there as well. Is the only ground wire on the frame up by the handlebars? That's all I remembered/found. It should be getting good contact, screwed with one of the regulator screws. My coil wire just barely reaches the spark plug, which I don't like, but it doesn't feel like its been pulled loose. I'm just trying to think of anything I may have missed. I've never been in the stator cover, ken rebuilt my top and bottom ends. I know how electrical can go though, it can quit whenever it wants. I've looked over the wiring diagrams too and I think everything should be good. Its 94 so no park brake, and its been in my shop so no water issues. I'll prob have to wait on my tester just thought I'd pick ur brains on what I coulda missed.

should be a solid black ground wire with a terminal ring that goes under one of the coil bolts, it should also be on bare frame (paint removed)
up front, or anywhere really, no black should be connected to any black/white stripe, thats what kills the ignition.
double check them, that white stripe is easy to overlook sometimes

should be a solid black ground wire with a terminal ring that goes under one of the coil bolts, it should also be on bare frame (paint removed)
up front, or anywhere really, no black should be connected to any black/white stripe, thats what kills the ignition.
double check them, that white stripe is easy to overlook sometimes
Thanks man. I don't remember another wire around the coil on teardown, but I slept, drank, and other things since then. Where would that ground wire come from? I'll double check all the black/white in the morn, and think I may go ahead and tear the harness open to eliminate the 20 wires that I don't need anymore. Looks like its wrapped in reg electrical tape all the way so maybe its already been messed with

Thanks man. I don't remember another wire around the coil on teardown, but I slept, drank, and other things since then. Where would that ground wire come from? I'll double check all the black/white in the morn, and think I may go ahead and tear the harness open to eliminate the 20 wires that I don't need anymore. Looks like its wrapped in reg electrical tape all the way so maybe its already been messed with

yep, unwrap and re-wrap with reg. electrical tape.
the black wire for the coil ground should come out of the harness with the tors wires and orange coil power.
the other ground to frame is at the voltage regulator under the hood, they all connect to a soldered 3/4 wire connection in the harness around where it crosses the frame tube under the left front of the fuel tank

Well took me all day to come up with a tester, but I finally got it. I'm getting nothing on the secondary coil, so I guess something has pulled loose in it. There wasn't a frame ground near the coil either, but I did find a spot there where a ground connection was just taped up. So I guess I'll be looking for another coil. I don't really want a used one and all the ones on Ebay just seem too cheap. Any recommendations? I can't afford a high dollar one right now cause I just paid out $1900 for my daughters braces, but I know you get what you pay for!

did you get the ground at the coil reconnected ?

Not yet, I had to help a buddy with a roof leak and some house elec. problems and just got my daughters 4poke fixed up, so I'm fixin to tear into the wiring harness and get that sorted out. My stator coils tested dead on center of the specified range, on the ignition coil primary was at 2 ohms and the secondary showed open circuit. With the fact that the boot barely reaches the plug as is, figured I just need a new one.

I see a bunch of cheap ones on ebay with orange coloring, no brand, for like $10-15 with shipping, just seems to cheap. Lot of the ones I looked at don't even give a brand. Maybe I'll just get a used one, but I'd rather have new

I found 1 oem new coil on ebay so I snatched it. Could be here Friday if the seller is on the ball:). Got my wiring all redone so its good 2 go. I'll finally get it goin this weekend (I hope) and get my heat cycles done in between redoing the front end on my car

Got the coil today and it worked... might have some other issues though, gonna post in my rebuild thread