Custom aluminium air box 1st attempt

I have one of those airboxes 79bronco posted in the pic (SMS). I could take some measurements if you need. One thing I can say is that it's allot heavier than the cfm air box.

Reactions: Dex94
Man I'm diggin these air boxes! As far as the "CFM" brand air box, it looks like the tube was an after thought. sh*tty actually. Can we add a few more 45 degree angles to that tube, because I don't think there is enough of them there.

yes I agree bronco it's hard to do it right! I was thinking on just doing loads of tacks joined together keeping the heat down using the pulse setting on welder. Then afterwords filing down so everything is smooth and flush in theory you won't even know it had been welded. I would never do this on anything under a lot of stress but for a AIRBOX? Let's be honest it isn't under any stress or strain what so ever aslong as the brackets are solid. What's your thoughts on this? I've seen some of your work which is outstanding better getting advice from a well know fabricator as Iam only 21 with a couple years experience when I was welding etc. Thanks

jus me thanks a lot that would be appreciated if I was fabbing one of them it would also be aluminium used. I honestly think the SMS is a far superior box the cfm lacks potential in so many ways. I've said it before but i am fabbing one of these with out a blaster to work around so Iam doing the job blind really any measurements etc would be greatly appreciated. One thing I can't figure is the pipe coming out of box to carb. How far does the pipe stick out the side of box if you get what I mean not sure where to position it to line up with carb again because I ain't got a blaster to work around. Thanks

"Joeak what you mean digging them man lol? Yeah CFM is a bad design who ever is making these is making a sh*t load of money also might start my own buisness if all goes to plan.lol Might even give the one I make away to someone on here as I haven't got a blaster yet. Lol

My 16G alum air box was my learning project on tig welding alum! It was not easy or fun! I will post pics of it, if i can find them!

I would go with a half open corner joint, and evenly spacing tack welds all over the place, then connect all the tack welds with short stitch welds. Its not going to look great because your going to have all those start and stop spots, so if you get any very ugly high spots i would just sand them down. Then run the welding torch down the welds to blend them in.

what would be wrong with just tack welds on the inside, then some good sealant or RTV along those inside seams to seal it ?
no welds or worries about what they look like from the outside
check Alcoa brand gutter seal, it's sealant we use for sealing gutter seams, it's silver and self levels to a real nice finish and lasts for years.

image.jpeg
Any body know this dimension how far the pipe sticks out the box to avoid shock?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Right guys promis Iam starting this on Friday haha being making some final adjustments making flat pack drawings to work with so Iknow where to fold etc here's the final design let us know what y'all think btw this pipe is not going on the box lol just put it on for viewing pleasure Iam going to use a racing silicone duct...

Reactions: BlasterPat
I approve of this message.

I've modded the airbox plenty of times, more than enough breathing room, but I've never actually looked into modding the intake between the filter and the carb. After some struggles, sure, the big ass carbs would fit, but that shoulda been a sign!

I may do something similar someday down the road. That day that I go to do this, I'll hook a vacuum gauge up between the filter and carb. At wot, it should have the most vacuum here. more vacuum=more restriction, less=less restriction. There has got to be a happy medium.

If it's not measureable - what ever! it looks cool! lol