Fresh Blood

Karnite

Apr 30, 2012
Marblemount, Washington
Hello all. My names Jason. I'm getting a Yamaha Blaster soon, I still don't know what year it is. I haven't actually seen it yet but I'm basically getting it for free so barring the vin not passing a check I will be happy. I've been on a quad a few times, nothing crazy like a lot of you XD. I'm also not looking to do anything crazy fast or the like, I would just like something to ride on trails.

Half the reason I decided to get a quad is to get hands on with the engine. I don't have much experience at all with engines other than basic maintenance but I've wanted to for a long time now and a quad sounded like a good hands on start.

I've been reading everything I could find on the Yamaha Blaster for the last couple days, a very large chunk of that on these forums. I'd like to say right now that I appreciate all of you sharing so much of your experiences and knowledge publicly like this. It really is a treasure trove of information.

When I do get it the next couple days I plan to take lots of pictures and start a project thread. I don't have a ton of money to pump into it all at once so depending on the condition it may not be up and running quickly :0).

From what I've gathered, a couple of things I should do right off are a compression check and a leakdown test to check for any obvious problems. I would like to tear down the engine and rebuild it right off but I don't even have the complete tools to do that (at least going from the manual read through). I will start working on a set, but again it may be over the next 6 months XD. If anyone has any suggestions for cheap sets or alternatives to any of the single function tools used in a rebuild, I'm always open to ideas. Already plan to build a leakdown tester thanks to phragle!

Anyway, I've rambled enough. If anyone has more suggestions on what should be done first off when getting a used quad with unknown history I'd appreciate it :0).

Take care, and see you around,

-Jason

Yes indeed welcome. In blasterdemons sig there is a link to the Blaster Manual...it's like the bible to the clergy, or a playboy to a teenager...you decide. Anyhow, if you want a place to pick up the right tools for a good price, check out (google) Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. Also, once you start buying parts, check out Cheap Cycle Parts. They sell OEM parts, so you can get an idea of what new parts should cost...I don't recommend buying from there, the shipping will put ya to eatin 3 squares of Ramen Noodles for a month. eBay is a Blaster Bone Yard, but be careful what and who ya buy from.

A really good place to start, so I'm finding out, is figure out what carb you have, what main jet and pilot you are running. Also, look for the oil injection system, TORS and while you're at it, the clutch is a pretty simple thing to inspect too...just drain the oil ;). Of course, then you have wheel bearings, A-Arms, Swing Arms, Rear Axle Carrier Hub Bearings, Chain, sprockets and look for oil leaks. Of course, those are quick checks, the important is the leakdown, plug chop and compression.

Good luck and research and ask questions. Welcome to the clan!

Thanks both of you :0). @EZ Yeah I found the manual two days ago and have read/skimmed through it once already XD. That's how I realized I'd need so many specialized tools for the rebuild.

The Blaster showed up tonight, it's dark and rainy so I can't get a real good look at her till tomorrow but it looks like it has been rolled. I didn't see any major damage except for one of the two frame bars that run under the gas tank are bent a bit. Tomorrow I'll start getting pictures and checking things deeper. I did take the time to get the vin before tarping it and no sign of it being stolen at least. I think eventually the frame is going to have to be replaced but one step at a time. I don't think it was damaged enough to effect trail riding but I'll see what you guys think tomorrow.

Thanks again, it's nice to have a checklist of things to go through.

Oh and it's a 2000.

*edit* I did notice it has a TurbineCore 2 muffler on it though, one less thing to buy XD.

Welcome, Sure wish all newbs would read and search first! Good start so far, wont be long before the mod disease hits!