crank seal question

iLikeIke

Jun 6, 2012
southern wisconsi
clutch side

is that metal ring supposed to be reall tight on the crank? mine goes on no problem and has a tiny bit of play

but isnt it suppose to be so tight that you have to heat it up? wouldnt that cause a leak?

i would imagine that the metal collar has to be almost pressed on or heated up to fit tightly on the crank, and then the seal turns on that, not my collar turning on the crank? :(

Attachments

• 2012-08-28 17.49.54.jpg
    2012-08-28 17.49.54.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 113
it slides right off but it shouldn't realy have play. to get it to seal fill the champfer on the back side of the collar with copper rtv. only fill the champfer area no where else. it's a pain in the ass. other thick silicons will work also. I just had this problem with my cousins blaster. tried 5 different collars. put the rtv on and it sealed. I'd like to give special thanks to civicdude for this helpful info. lmao

i have shellac compound should work. seems kinda silly too me why there would be a seperate collar

and it has just a tiny bit of play, but no turnin back i have riden to do

the colar is silly i think. but i'm sure there is a purpose. according to civic an oem crank comes with a small amount of sealant there where the colar and crank meet, on that champfer

maybe its so that a person can replace the collar instead of the whole crank if a grove is worn into it

but would the collar put a grove of sorts into the crank? lol too much thinking for one day