crank install question

chuey_316

Feb 9, 2010
I've seen that the clutch side bearing is a slip fit onto the shaft, but does anyone know of a video that shows this? Reason is I am able to slide the bearing onto and back off of the shaft by hand, and I was told that this means the crank is no good, but if it's a slip fit, then it seems like this would be totally possible. I'm not talking so loose that it'll slide off if I flip the crank or anything like that, but I don't have to really push to get it to bottom out, and a little turn while lifting will slide it back off.

I don't want to install it if it's no good, but also don't want to buy a new crank for no reason either.

How it fits over the crank. I can slip the bearing over the shaft and slide it all the way down easily by hand. It's not all sloppy or anything, and there's no play, but I just don't know just how snug it should be. If I'm able to, I'll run over to the garage and take a quick video in a bit.

Last edited:
Not the best video. Had to hold my phone in one hand and slide the bearing with the other. You can see that the bearing slides on and fits the shaft perfectly, but just isn't a very snug fit. Not sure if this is how it should be, or if it should be tighter and my shaft is worn.

Last edited:
Anyone have any insight on this? I have a chance to pick up a Vitos crank for a good price, but I need to pull the trigger quickly, and I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to.

Last edited:
Anyone? Is this how it should be, and will be ok once the collar is in and the nut is torqued, or am I screwed? I really need to get this thing back together so I can free up the garage before snow hits, but I'm at a total standstill until I know if this is normal or not, and I can't find the info anywhere.

Reminds me of a street Pro I once met

Not the best video. Had to hold my phone in one hand and slide the bearing with the other. You can see that the bearing slides on and fits the shaft perfectly, but just isn't a very snug fit. Not sure if this is how it should be, or if it should be tighter and my shaft is worn.

It should be anywhere from barely sliding on with minimum force to having to swedge it.
You could get a new OEM and see if it’s any tighter.
If you can personally inspect the other crank that might be a good bet.

Reactions: chuey_316
It should be anywhere from barely sliding on with minimum force to having to swedge it.
You could get a new OEM and see if it’s any tighter.
If you can personally inspect the other crank that might be a good bet.

Thanks. The new and old bearing fit on with zero play, and won't slide on or off without physically moving them with a slight amount of pressure if that's what you mean.

Funds are tight right now, but I may just buy the Vito's crank and grab an oem bushing later to check with this crank. Unless I can get a new bearing put in the hot rods crank I have for less.

If the bearing isn’t tight on the shaft it will spin in the cases, which will junk it
Look in a manual for the specs for diameter of crank. Measure it, either the crank is undersize or bearing oversized