crank collar leak!!

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
i cant seem to get my collar and my crank to seal i tryed the copper rtv method i applied it to chafer only and put it on to where it would be facing bearing i waited 24 hours like it said for it to set and when i leak tested LOTS OF BUBBlES:eek: getting frustrated with this pesky thing please any suggestion would be a big help IM STUMPED!

It may pay to use a little more robust sealant like Yamabond 4.

The copper rtv is excellent at sealing gaskets, but sometimes can be wiped off a shaft on assembly causing leakage.

it could be the collar. but when i had this problem i switched it out with about 5 different collars and it still leaked. they were all used but in good shape. The copper rtv worked great for me.. i think i would be inspecting the mating surface on the crank for imperfections that might be keeping the two apart
Also the nut has to be torqued when the leakdown is performed

I'm starting to wonder if maybe these two parts should be lapped to each other before assembly. then add a light coat of sealant... hmmmmm

Just thought of another possible cause , the surface of each of the parts has to be oil, dirt free. Just a smear of oil/dirt will prevent any sealant from sealing.

sorry for the late response have been busy with college things but anyways i think it was scot that said you have to have the nut on when the test is performed???! i havent had the nut on this whole time! i have a curious mind so i have to ask the does the nut do to seal it and does that mean i have to put the primary gear on before the nut or can i just out the nut on. thanks guys for the help:)

HA! Yes, the nut has to be on, and the primary gear!
The nut against the gear pulls it tight against the shoulder, which is where the seal takes place.

Steve

HA! Yes, the nut has to be on, and the primary gear!
The nut against the gear pulls it tight against the shoulder, which is where the seal takes place.

Steve

OH my! Well at least ya figured it out! We just assumed! I:I

lol wow i feel dumb! but i just have one more Q so now that i know how to properly do it. did i mess something up by testing without all the nuts and gears on or can i just put it all together and test??

lol wow i feel dumb! but i just have one more Q so now that i know how to properly do it. did i mess something up by testing without all the nuts and gears on or can i just put it all together and test??

Live an learn!- You didn't mess anything up but the rtv seal around the collar, clean that off re-apply, put gears/nuts on, as long as the gears and nuts are on and the dot on the gears line up- nuts to proper torque, nothing else is needed, you can leave the clutch off just to test it. I:I

think im having same problem, replaced clutch side crank seal twice and still smoking like a steam train, when re-assembling i did wonder how the collar over the crank would seal, the collars sealed against the seal but what about between the collar and crank? where do you put RTV? any help would be greatly appreciated :)