clutch side crank seal help

99Blasty

Jun 17, 2010
Virginia
finished up my crank seal replacement and fired the bike up and still smokes like crazy. maybe worse than before. ran it for a while figured it was still some left in the bottom end from before I replaced it but even an hour later its still burning it. any help would be appreciated.

How do you know that's where it's leaking? Did you do a leakdown? Did you grease the lip of the seal before you installed it? Could also be your cases leaking.

well if youve got oil in your fuel, like all two strokes should have, it will smoke. it may not be that your seals are shot, unless your transmission oil levels are dropping after you ride it. it will also burn a different colour if its eating gearbox oil and pressurising the casings and causing tansmission oil leaks.

try starting it with the breather tube off of the tranny. try to spread some liquid soap over the hole and see if it bubbles that should tell you if you have a leak in the tranny anywhere( ie clutch side oil seal or case leak)

yeah its white thick smoke. and yeah I greased the hell out of the seal before I replaced it. I guess I may of beat it up a tiny bit trying to get it in.

I put my vent tube in a cup of water and it sucked some water in so its leaking in there somewhere. now what? try another crank seal?

buy a leak down tester if you don't have one. 30 bucks from holeshotman it's stickied in the forsale section. pull your cluch cover and do the leakdown test to find the leak the right way