Clutch basket groove repair

xxBLAZEDxx

Jun 30, 2011
Took a clutch apart to check out a broke off ear tab this afternoon, here it is........
2l9jn13.jpg

2usizr7.jpg

that tab was missing from between these fingers on the basket, looks like a homemade clutchholder did some damage here
2hcoief.jpg

w2orq0.jpg

also found some wear on the basket and the inner basket
1zeus9e.jpg

2vb8lua.jpg

whats up with the ten pic limit??

Took a clutch apart to check out a broke off ear tab this afternoon
also found some wear on the basket and the inner basket

1zeus9e.jpg

2vb8lua.jpg

and tried to file out the grooves, and did...
jpvw4x.jpg

rc32p0.jpg

2lafrbt.jpg

2rqk2rk.jpg

File off some casting roughness,
2lu2glf.jpg

j6jyc3.jpg

smoothing off some sharp edges and all done
30ldru1.jpg

2qk6j3c.jpg

pink springs original???

edited dew to WOUGH huge pix...........

Last edited:
Looks like someone had fun dinking with that clutch before. Unusual to see damage to the inner hub without a bunch of hopups...

Pink painted springs are original. Silly yamaha... who knows what was in their head when they placed the order for their clutch springs...

Reactions: Cheese98
looks very similar to the grooving i found, i didnt know you could file them out ????,
i was going billet basket anyway, tried sanding the inner hub grooves, didnt like the outcome, so got it new also

If the damage isnt very rough you can file them, tho i would always replace it since its a damaged and worn part already.

hi guys, I ordered a new set of clutch plates...the fibre ones...for my blaster, but it didn't come with the narrow plate for that metal spring ring to fit inside, what should I do?

Install it without the place. Usually it comes with one extra plate?

The wavy one just makes it a little easier to pull, thats what i have read.

yep, my driveline clutch included both, the thinner diameter fiber for the wave washer, and an xtra full size to replace it completely.
the wave washer/thin fiber is for new riders, it cushions the lock up of the clutch for easier operation, it is not needed at all,
use the full size fiber and leave out the wave washer/thinner fiber

Those grooves aren't that bad. I have had worse on my bikes it happens to all clutch baskets unless they are made from steel. Filing is a pretty common practice but can't be done more than once on seriously grooved baskets. Your inner hub will be fine. It isn't that bad. Any worse, it should be replaced.