CFM Airbox nightmare!

Something tells me the guys at PB can make it without that finish but plan if you ask. What will the price be I don't know. Sounds like theres a demand for the plan finish and in doing them plan maybe they can pass the savings on to us.

Theres one problem with the PB airbox.It should come with a jar of vaseline.lol
I got scoops and a box from cfm for $135.Thats one hell of a deal and they both work great.Let us know how you make out.

Here we go. These are the photos of what I was looking at not fabing anything. Just installing as is and the parts that came with it.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

The gap I was talking about where the blue sleeve they gave with the kit would not reach both sides.
DSC00004.jpg

Another view of the gap.
DSC00007.jpg

In this photo and the next you might not be able to tell but I am putting alot of pressure on the tube to make it line up better with the carb, the angle is off.
DSC00008.jpg

See my nail turning white, trying to push it in place.
DSC00011.jpg

Next post showing what I did.

I got a radiator hose, you can see the number if you want to by it. I cut off a section. The small hose bottom left is what I used.
DSC00012.jpg

I took the piece that they put on the inside of the blue sleeve out and cut it down so it now just fits into the new hose. The side with the insert will go to the carb side.
DSC00013.jpg

Heres a photo of the piece on top of the tube so you have an idea of how much I shoved in the tube. Lube hose with alittle wd40 so it will slide in easier.
DSC00014.jpg

Photo of where I placed the orginal hose over my design as a extra measure to keep dirt out.
DSC00015.jpg

In this photo where my finger is pointing I took a propane tourch and heated around the entire tube to make it give to bend it so the angle would be better going to the carb. As you can see in the photo the filter now sits on a slight angle, thats the direction it needed to go to make a good angle.
DSC00016.jpg

These are important steps to make it easy. I installed the small hose (in the right angle so it will follow along inside the tube easy)selection onto the carb and tightend it down good.
DSC00018.jpg

I then threw the original blue hose on to the hose I made and pushed it foward up to the carb to get it out of the way. The part that gets everything to fit perfect comes next. Install the screw on to the bracket used for the oil tank (theres a nut welded on it). Screw it in till it just sticks out on the other side. Next wd40 the rubber hose thats on the carb. Take the air box and start feeding the hose into the tube just intill the screw in the back will go threw the hole in the air box. Now you can install the stub on the other side you will notice it will be tight and not easy to get it on. But when you do it will be solid. Tighten down both back srews and your done back there.

Finally slide the blue hose over the joint between the homemade hose and the metel tube. Tighten a band on the hose side but right next to the metal tube. Its an extra measure to be on the safe side. BTW you will have to cut off and file that little stub where the factory airbox tube clipped onto.
DSC00019.jpg

Somehow its very solid and nothing moves or vibrates. did not want to drill new holes and have old holes just sitting there. Also it looked like if I wanted to drill new holes it would be to move the box foward which I felt I would run into clearance problems with the rear shock, have extra holes and that stub would only be sitting on one bar not tightly wedge between to bars.

Comments, ideas, did they send me the wrong hose, what you guys think about all of this?

they sent you the wrong adapter. The blue hose is used for the bigger carbs. They should have sent a black adapter that tapers down to fit on the stock carb. Glad to see that you got it to work!

they sent you the wrong adapter. The blue hose is used for the bigger carbs. They should have sent a black adapter that tapers down to fit on the stock carb. Glad to see that you got it to work!

I read what you said about it being the wrong hose. I wrote to the guy telling him I got the wrong hose and to send the right one fast. Thanks for the heads up. In the mean time I'm just glad I can use it like this till I get the right hose. He might have sent me the wrong hose but I'll tell you the angle was off and it's probally the reason why some people are having to fab the mounting to make it work. I'm not sure if he does these by eye are he uses a jig, but that angle was off.

here are some pics for you to look at. i bet you could have moutned the right side a little different to achive the angle you wanted.

here is the boot they should have sent. it would fill that 2" gap easy.

DSC02111.jpg

another view

DSC02112.jpg

and a top view.

DSC02113.jpg

sorry you had so many problems. i hope they can make it right for you, and they send the right boot.

here are some pics for you to look at. i bet you could have moutned the right side a little different to achive the angle you wanted.

I could have but I dont feel like having extra holes. That stub has to be wedge inbetween those two parts of the frame to make it solid. Yes I could have just drilled a new hole and repositioned the stub. But any excuse that lets me play with fire is the one I go with.I:I

Here is the communication going on between me and seller.

------------------------------------------------------------
You sent me the wrong hose adapter. I have the factory carb on it. I'm missing riding time now. What can you do to correct this problem. So I can leave good feedback for you.

Sorry about that. Stock adaptors are currently on order. We should get them in a week or so. They come from Yamaha directly so it takes a while. What is the I.D. of the adaptor you were sent?

Thank you,
Jason

After I was having problems installing it I asked some people that bought your box for help and they where the ones to tell me it was the wrong one. I was sent the blue hose with one section wrapped around on the inside. They sayed thats for the bigger carbs and the one I needed was black, one piece hose that had a taper on it. I went to pepboys and spent 20 buck on a radiator hose to cut up and I used peices of your hose just to make it work so I could ride this weekend. So I can't measure it for you. Needless to say I'm not happy, I understand human errors happen, but I would like that part as fast as you can get it to me when you can get it yourself.

Thanks for any help you can provide in this matter.
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------

So in the the mean time I'm just going to have to use my setup intill I get the right parts.

Got message already.....

We will send the new one ASAP. The usps tracking number for the adaptor is ********************. I will send a partial refund today to cover your cost. Sorry about the mistake.

Thank you,
Jason

Thank you for doing the right thing. I'll be sure to let people know you stand behind your product and your here to help people out. I'll leave good feedback as soon as I get the part in.

Thanks again

-----------------------------------------------------

So all in all I'm okay wth this mess. Lucky for me you guys on here know your stuff and we figured out what the problem was. The guy my have messed up the order but he took responability for it and is going to make it right.

wow...i just ordered one not to long ago and im still waiting on it....but thats cool that jason stepped up to fix the problem...but i must say i was nervous for a minute I:I

Its probally taking awhile because he's out of the hose coupler. I wouldn't worry. Sounds like he does the right thing.