cb 650 swap

i should be done in by the end of the weekend it all depends on my work schedule tho i really only have like $100 in to this whole project, its the ultimate budget bike, and its 1" by 2" tube steel it was $25 for ten feet whick so far ive only used 5 feet ... 12 inches is going to be extremely long but i feel pretty confident, there isnt alot of tight trail riding arround here but the good news is that i have 2 extra blaster swing arms so if i dont like it i can make another maybe +6 or +8 but im just going to be excited racing people and seeing the looks i get while im out at the pitt

Last edited:
ok , very very successful day. first pictures then ill talk,
first cut the cb frame
a.jpg

then removed the motor and trimmed it up a

a2.jpg

while i was doing that my buddy started to polish up the engine cases
a3.jpg

then tacked it and test fit
a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

then carbs on (i will be able to run those little air filters no air box whoot whoot)
a7.jpg

then test fit with plastics and fuel tank
a8.jpg

look how close but good the tank and the petcock are
a9.jpg

preview of the welds close up
a10.jpg

now although all of that went smooth i did run into a few snags the way the frames line up in the front the exhaust no longer fits and will need to be modified also i have to figure out how to brace the pieces of metal that the a arms mount onto and doing that is going to be tricky because the one side of the motorcycle is removable so you can get the motor in and out. i kinda wanted to keep it that way but it just may not be practical well see though well thats the update i hope you guys enjoy as much as i did

spent 4 hours working on this today and didnt get as much as i had hoped finished due to alot of thought and test fitting

i took a piece of the steel tube and cut on of the sides off and bent it into a triangle shape to make this support bracket its another close fit but again it looks like it should be there i think
aa2.jpg

also after lifting up the frame we were able to fit the exhaust in after all, thankgod because i didnt know what i was going to do if it didnt fit
aa.jpg

aa1.jpg

i was nervous about the bottom piece of metal that held on the bottom a arms and after alot of thought i came up with this triangle creation. it should support it in every angle, after i get the swing arm finished and get it into a rolling machine im going the be able to see better how strong it feels but im confident as of now
aa3.jpg

aa4.jpg

give me some feedback on what you think, just remenber i cant brace straight up due to tie-rods i cant go back due to exhaust and i cant go under or i wont be able to remove the motor

so i had another very productive day but didnt take alot
of pictures but heres the battery tray welded in
aaa.jpg

aaa2.jpg

i also capped in alot of the frame from where there were cuts were to make the go together and did alot of cutting of pieces for the swing arm but then i put it togather to see about how the swingarn fit since im using the holes that were on the cb frame and im going to have to move the shock mount on the swingarm about an inch to an inch and a half closer towards the motor but heres how it looks with wheels on it
aaa1.jpg

aaa3.jpg

o and i welded in those front pieces that i wasnt sure about, and with it together i was messin with it and it seems super strong

its only like 6 inches right now , but after i move the shock closer it will raise it up plus im only 140 so the shocks are set soft and are compressed with the weight of the new motor, after i set them stiffer it will also raise a biti should ave atleast 10 inches hopefully a foot

Looks good, but I really think that a +12" swingarm is overkill. I was really, really surprised how much of a difference my +4" was in terms of keeping the front end planted. In fact, I think I'm going to build another one that's only +2". Yeah I know I've got 25 hp or so and you'll have 50-ish, but I think +4 or 5 would be enough, and would be much more agile.

Looks good, but I really think that a +12" swingarm is overkill. I was really, really surprised how much of a difference my +4" was in terms of keeping the front end planted. In fact, I think I'm going to build another one that's only +2". Yeah I know I've got 25 hp or so and you'll have 50-ish, but I think +4 or 5 would be enough, and would be much more agile.

Good point. I'm pushing 60+ w/a +4 swingarm.

Yeah I agree... I personally feel +5 is a bit much.
The problem is you lose alot of hook up with a longer swingarm so you need bigger tires. You can actually really screw yourself with something too long, I know many banshee guys who have had this happen to them.

Were not telling you what to do though so if you want a +12 swinger go for it.

hahaha ok so at first i was hell bent on this +12 swinger but after further review of it mocked up on the bike ive decided to make it either +5 or +6
aa6.jpg

aa7.jpg

aa8.jpg

haha more tomorrow

haha that thing is stupid long lol jk looks badass but I agree it would be very unpratical. Glad you decided to go with a +5 or +6 bro. Good job on your build progress.

long day at work today and a long week ahead but well c i may still put it some work before the weekend its close so id like to have it ridable by sunday, thanx 4 the support guys