cb 650 swap

haha fun facts, and yes your correct i cut them, im going to use the whole bottom of the motorcycle frame ill show picks now, im going to run extra support from the top a arm mount to the bottom of the frame aswell... and one piece straight across from top a arm mount to top im bad with explaining but it will all come arround.... also was looking at how the airbox is gonna work and im going to have to do some custom work forsure

now the pictures...

last youll c of it like this...
b11.jpg

then with the down supports cut off..
b12.jpg

now completely disassembled and lined up next to the bike...
b14.jpg

now side view, looks really good...
b13.jpg

and a close up so you can see better how i was talking about connecting the frames in the back...
b15.jpg

i still need to cut some more on the frame but i stopped there untill i cut the motorcycle apart and i dont want to do that untill i get it running, tomorrow im going to try and get that pinvalve unstuck and reassemble the carbs and hopefully fire it up well see how it goes tho

ok so since the carbs have been sitting for two days now with pb blast and carb cleaner in the lines i took a drill and the peice that was broken off and it came right out... so thats the good news, the bad news however is that i busted up that other pin valve and now have to go searching for a new one... o well thats all for now more updates tonight

I'm not sure what else you've built in your life, but it's nice to see someone making some plans before wielding the angle grinder/torch/sawsall etc.

When I saw the title of this thread I though "on no, this is gonna get ugly" but it looks like you have an interesting approach. I'm curious to see how you deal with the inevitable snags along the way.

BTW, 50-60 hp in a Blaster will be lots, but not crazy. Don't forget that the motor weighs likely double what the Blaster mill does. All said, you'll likely be in that 375-385lb range and make lets say 55 hp. About the same numbers as a modded 700R. Should still be fun though. I like that you're using something air cooled. Definitely simplifies the build. B)

ok so heres some more picks...

some sludge and dirt removed from the carbs
b19.jpg

carbs cleaned after removing broken pinvalve
b16.jpg

b17.jpg

while on a search to find a new pin valve i found a guy on craigslist who sold me these carbs for $50 their clean but a couple things look sketchy on them so im still going to be using the original carbs ill keep these babys for a nice spare set though
b20.jpg

b21.jpg

o and i got a new battery today, and im going to buy the tubing for my swing arm tomorrow. i may do a little more work tonight but i may hold out untill tom after work

dude, that looks great. i can't wait to see the final product. it looks like that's gonna fit in there pretty decent really. glad that you're planning and not just hacking blindly. i bet that'll make a pretty wicked trail quad

i got some more work done, carbs are reassembled and i got the blaster thumb throttle hooked up. i also hooked up a blaster fuel tank and a battery i got from my friend but it was dead so i couldnt start it i bypassed the ignition because my neighbor lost the key so when i hooked the charger up the lights works but it wasnt enough juice to fire up, the one time i tried i got the starter to turn a bit so thats a good sign i aslo ran premium gas with octane booster now pictures

b22.jpg

b23.jpg

b24.jpg

b25.jpg

just cranked the motor befor work everything moves good but no spark, its proab a proablem with how i wired the key start ....... more after work

looking good bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving right along.

For the air box you could just chuck it and run 4 pod filters off the carbs with outerwears...

so great news, I got the bike running today I though there was no spark but Im an idiot I didnt really have the plug on the head good enough and i had the gas off but I was in a rush before work. any how i also got the tubing for the swingarm and got it cut to the lengths I want. Its going to be extended 1 foot but I definitely want that much. Im trying to upload a video but im struggling.

b27.jpg

b26.jpg

im going to be using the stock mounts for the carrier and stock shock mount but ill also be beefing the whole thing up
this isnt mine but its basically the same thing
Swingarm_in_progress_2.jpg

tomorrow im going to do some more work on the swingarm and begin the process of cutting the cb apart

yea i was thinking that but still not sure if theres going to be enough room, these blaster frames are tiny i should know better after tom when i get the frame of the cb cut up

o and to answer 03blasterboy it will have 2 one out each side im going to cut where the arrow in the pick is and weld a 45 degree piece of pipe there and then weld the back back on
blast3-1.jpg

Last edited:
had to work late so i didnt get to much done but i got the swing arm frame welded up and i started ripping down the cb some more. all motor mount bolts are out but i didnt have anyone to help me try and lift that heavy ass thing, so it will sit in there until tomorrow. my gerage is a complete dissaster area and needs a thorough cleaning first thing after work tomorrow then motor out then cutting the cb apart.

c.jpg

c7.jpg

c1.jpg

and now the mess
c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

wow dude this seems to be moving along quite nicely. I myself am looking into some sort of swap also.

How much did you pick that bike up for bud?

Also, was wonderig about the sprockets, are they the same chain style as the blaster or will you be using the ones on the CB?

dude i scored that bike off of my neighbour for the price off freeee, i asked him if he wanted to sell it because i had remembered it ran about 5 years ago so i was confident because it had just been sitting it wasnt all taken apart and hes like dude im trying to get rid of all this old sh*t take it i was gonna give it to a scrap guy. to be honest it didnt have a chain on it and i didnt even bother to look into that yet im hoping its gonna match up but if not o well im not scared to fab something up - thanks for the support and good luck on a future project, also before i got this bike i was at the junkyard and i found basically complete bikes for like 200 so that may be a route you wanna take

yeah i wanna do somethin soon so I have another bike to ride. So about how much do you have into this swap so far. you could prolly mount up the rear sprocket of that cb somehow also.

Oh and about how much longer do you estimate until you can ride it?