400ex thumb swap

Oh4Blaster

Dec 21, 2017
I know it’s been covered before, but I’m going to give my honest opinion on the swap.

First and foremost it’s a very simple swap, except for getting the cable to sit right in the arm.

First take off your right grip and if you have odi lockons it’s a 2.5mm Allen key
Second unscrew the top of your Yamaha on and screw the adjuster all the way in, then remove cable from the arm.
Final steps would be unscrewing the two Phillips head screws on the clamp underneath the housing that connects to bars. Remove.

Next jump on eBay and purchase a 400ex thumb throttle, even better if you can find a Vito’s performance one because it has the shaved cap. I got mine for 40 shipped.
Reinstall is the same as removal, set the position of the new throttle and tighten it down. Leave the tab on there it gives it enough room to clear the front brake lever.

I am overall very pleased with the swap, just really hate the angle of the cable arm. My honest opinion is it made my bike a lot more fun to ride and my thumb doesn’t get as tired as fast. Throttle is a lot smoother and it cleans up your bar set up. The Yamaha one is like a brick and a little heavy, Honda one is just as big and a lot lighter. Seems that the throttle is a bit more snappy and the longer thumb shaft is a plus too. Let’s you better control the throttle without having to worry if your thumb is going to pop off.

Overall I’m going to recommend this for people looking for better control or a new assembly. I’m very pleased on how light the throttle is now and how much it cleaned up the bars. Now I didn’t do it but I looked at it though, on the inside of the ex throttle housing is a casting that acts as a stopper, if you shaved it a little you can get a little more from the cable pull. I didn’t do this because I figured it would stretch my cable and or it would jam up and not retract. Try at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awk08