Carnz' 500cc Blaster Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too much news as I've been busy and low on cash lol
Got my Wiseco Piston (88mm) in
2010-09-30152150.jpg

The bottom end is complete now, clutch, kickstarter, and all installed(yes I know one of the clutch bolts isn't installed in the pic lol). Also, replaced every oil seal in the engine so no leaks!
2010-09-30152504.jpg

2010-09-30152649.jpg

AND, I got a front banshee brake setup cheap on ebay, $25 shipped for handle with master cylinder, hard lines, and calipers with lines and new pads.
2010-09-30151925.jpg

The only problem is the jackass tried to paint the calipers red and they look like ass. Going to strip them down and repaint, also making SS lines and ditching the hard line setup.

ALSO, after much consideration I am going to be adding a bottom motor mount to the frame to help support the engine more.

SHINY. I like it. What did you order the piston to fit?

Careful with stripper, the caliper seals are made for brake fluid but not necessarily paint stripper.

got the piston for a 82-83 YZ490 which is the cylinder I have. 88mm bore, current bore measures 87.6mm. I messaged Ken O'Connor and he told me that I could buy a piston and he will bore the cyl to fit, so thats what I did, sending the cyl and head off to him probably within 2 weeks to have some work done.

im going to disassemble the calipers then paint them and place new seals in. unless i find a smokin deal on YFZ450 dual piston calipers first lol, then the banshee ones will be up for sale

careful before you put too much work into them calipers, i got a set like that once cheap, but they were pre 99 (i believe thats the cutoff) and they wouldnt work with the norman420 spindles, the bolt pattern is different on that caliper mount, and if his is different, so are the 03+ blaster spindles, also the disc's did not have recessed bolt heads and hit the caliper bracket,< (another thing to watch out for)
i ended up using 99+ banshee discs, and raptor 660 calipers with normans spindles
just sumthin to watch out for before you spend time and money re-painting calipers before you mock them up, like i did, i know have nice shiny painted un-useable calipers sittin in a junk box

other than that the build is lookin great, cant wait to see how large your forearms get from hanging onto a ken oconnor ported yz490 < whooohoooo

Yeah I think the engine with the Ken O'Connor port work will be disgusting, I want to be able to beat my buddies +4mil stroker shee.

Won a set of yfz450 calipers for "$30 on eBay last night ftw! Gonna get rid of these shee calipers cheap.

Last night I worked on this a bit and figured where I am putting the lower engine mounts.
2010-10-02185229.jpg

These will be placed inboard of the frame though, not outside like pictured. Only had it that way so i can make my reference points for when i drill the frame. This way I will have the swingarm mount, solid lower mounts, and solid front mounts. The engine should be in there good with this setup.

Heres how it looks with the fuel tank set on the frame with very small spacers.
2010-10-02185335.jpg

2010-10-02185352.jpg

That front photo shows that even though its a little, I do have clearance! The engine will not be moving once its mounted so I am not worried about this at all. Going to place the heat reflective tape on the bottom of the fuel tank. Hopefully this can help to reduce the heating of the fuel by the engine.

This last shot is where I am going to mount the OEM YZ490 boost bottle. Does not interfere with anything and I just need to extend the hose a little bit. Going to use a new hose anyway because the one on there is old and brittle (1984 lol).
2010-10-02185912.jpg

Thats all for now!

i'm a little skeptical about all these holes you're drillin in the frame, instead of welding them on, with all the torque that motor is gonna be pullin, i'd be worried about our tiny frail frames beaking, jmo

that main lower frame tube on each side is actually pretty thick, i dont think it will be too much of an issue. and if it breaks then I will make something new up. I want to do it this way because i'm no good with a welder lol. the tubes where i have the front mounts are pretty thick too. but we'll see!

and its only 2 holes per tube on 4 tubes, if anything i think it will break the bolts before the frame. also i think that welding the mounts on would actually lower the strength of the metal more than drilling a few holes thru it because metal fatigues with heat and the heat from welding could weaken it more. this is just my opinion, what are your thoughts

you need to sleeve the holes you drilled in the frame and weld the sleeves in. just holes in the frame will cause a couple problems...it will attempt to compress the frame when you tighten the bolts, without a flat mating surface, you are placing the bolt load on a very small area, as it is it will vibrate... vibration causes metal fatigue, so you will have a small area of contact, under stress, and premature fatigue.

i'm with phragle, i'd put some sleeves in there. it will be BY FAR stronger than just putting bolts through the holes that have been drilled.

also, if you can't get a pipe to work without cutting it up, have one custom built for it or the thing won't run very well at all

other than that it looks great, i'd like to do a hybrid someday, and now that i have a house and a little more room maybe i will be able to :D

thanks for the insight. i will look into the sleeve insert idea we have a lot of misc hardware like that at my job.

i've also got rubber bushings to go inbetween the bolts and the frame to help absorb some engien vibrations

thanks for the insight. i will look into the sleeve insert idea we have a lot of misc hardware like that at my job.

i've also got rubber bushings to go inbetween the bolts and the frame to help absorb some engien vibrations

lookin good bro, but check into those rubber bushings, a few vets on here say they are a bad idea when doing a swap like this

i would be concerned about the rubber allowing the motor to move around enough to have chain issues. i would rather get a really good set of grips, and make an anti-vibe stem.

otis made a setup out of some old handle bars one time that looked pretty good and raised the bars about 2 inches too.

Reactions: CARNZ
Status
Not open for further replies.