Carnz' 500cc Blaster Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
loving it Carnz, I'm curious as well though what it took to get that swingarm to work and whether it would be possible to make it work with the blaster motor. also why the no linkage swing?

The 85-90 model LT250R's had a "full floater" rear suspension where there was a cantilever mounted to the frame but the shock and a "return bar" mounted to the cantilever and swingarm. When you did a jump the swingarm would move the shock and return bar up but because the shock was mounted farther inboard than the cantilever or return bar it would be compressed. Worked relatively well but heavy and bulky compared to a "proper" rear suspension. Suzuki opted for a regular shock mount on the 91-92 LT250R's and some of the LT500's (not sure which of the quadzilla's were "regular" and which weren't)

Given the opportunity, I'd "upgrade" the rear suspension on my LT but it would require a lot of frame work and have to change the swingarm too 8-|

I know it's hard to believe, but the blaster suspension is actually an upgrade from LT250R suspension....

!!!!wow I just read from the first page nice build man!!! Where did u get the stock blaster graphics at?

i found them new old stock, they are all discontinued now! I bought the last brand new set of 1991 rear fender decals from yamaha!

The 85-90 model LT250R's had a "full floater" rear suspension where there was a cantilever mounted to the frame but the shock and a "return bar" mounted to the cantilever and swingarm. When you did a jump the swingarm would move the shock and return bar up but because the shock was mounted farther inboard than the cantilever or return bar it would be compressed. Worked relatively well but heavy and bulky compared to a "proper" rear suspension. Suzuki opted for a regular shock mount on the 91-92 LT250R's and some of the LT500's (not sure which of the quadzilla's were "regular" and which weren't)

Given the opportunity, I'd "upgrade" the rear suspension on my LT but it would require a lot of frame work and have to change the swingarm too 8-|

I know it's hard to believe, but the blaster suspension is actually an upgrade from LT250R suspension....
ALL LT500Rs are linkage style setups, none have no-link rears

loving it Carnz, I'm curious as well though what it took to get that swingarm to work and whether it would be possible to make it work with the blaster motor. also why the no linkage swing?

You cannot use the LT swinger with a blaster engine because of the offset that the cases have when they mount into the swingarm, on the LTs they mount in the center, the blasters are set off to the left side.

And I cannot use the linkage setup on the blaster frame because there are no provisions for it, yeah I could try to fab something up, but it would be bulky and non-performing. No-link setup FTW

ALL LT500Rs are linkage style setups, none have no-link rears

I don't mean dog bone, I mean the "full floater" rear suspension like the 250's.... Dog bone rear doesn't irk me like the "full floater" style.... Just seems like a LOT of unsprung weight with the "full floater" setup

I don't mean dog bone, I mean the "full floater" rear suspension like the 250's.... Dog bone rear doesn't irk me like the "full floater" style.... Just seems like a LOT of unsprung weight with the "full floater" setup

gotcha. all lt500rs have the rear setup where the link is under the swinger and bolted to the frame and the swinger with the shock bolted to the eccentric spacer in the middle

You cannot use the LT swinger with a blaster engine because of the offset that the cases have when they mount into the swingarm, on the LTs they mount in the center, the blasters are set off to the left side.

And I cannot use the linkage setup on the blaster frame because there are no provisions for it, yeah I could try to fab something up, but it would be bulky and non-performing. No-link setup FTW

I was just curious what the lever of modification would be, thanks for the thorough explanation @SI and @Carnz

that looks good but i was thinking about putting a motor out of a polaris outlaw 525 irs just because the torque for drag racing would u say it was a good idea thanks skyler

Nice!I just started the same build.Thats why I came here.Anyone know the best way to lengthen the swing arm?

If you wind up having really bad vibration problems you could always mount a steering stabilizer to the engine to absorb vibration. Similar to what they do on f1 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.