Carbon build up?

gb blaster

Apr 19, 2012
Maryland
Okay well when I had my reed off ( wish I took a picture but I was hurrying) there we a lot of black seemed like build up on cylinder where the reeds went in.

My question is could this be carbon build up?
How bad is this for my engine? ( I've read a little through the search function on carbon build up so I kinda know what it's caused from wouldn't mind knowing more)

What's the steps I take to getting eliminating this?

inside the intake area always has some black paint from the factory

Its really unlikely to see carbon buildup in the intake of a 2-stroke engine. It was probably black paint like awk said. I wouldn't worry about it. Ive never seen a 2-stroke intake carbon up at all, actually.

It happens a lot to 4-stroke engines used on lawn equipment and generators (especially flathead engines), but that's most common on worn-out units where the valve guides have worn down to the point that oil leaks past the guide and onto the intake valve stem. Then the oil cokes up on the hot valve and you have carbon deposits.

yeah almost every one is painted black. i've seen a couple completely black. the oil in the gas wouldn't let carbon stick in the intake, even if it tried

Here is a picture of a stock intake on the left with the stock black paint.

252249_10151325140485803_804954678_n.jpg

Here is another:

23933_10151325104730803_1549889306_n.jpg

Nice epoxy job on the right hand jug Steve, nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

Don't get me going... :)

...too late...
Actually that port build-up might be showing signs of too strong a rear boost port effect.

263973_10151224033430803_756162844_n.jpg

That "wash effect" is from a strong swirl of wet mixture washing the previous sooted oil off.
Since the power was definitely increased Neil and I are not going to worry too much about it,
But I am just throwing it up for discussion.

Ahhh, back on topic. Use a good oil and this is all the carbon you will see...

Steve

I do believe that the dreaded JB weld was involved, Steve commented that it was perfect for the job.

If I remember correctly the build up was to fill the available space in the passageway to allow the atomised charge direct entry to the crancase and boost port.,

Some power gain was achieved, I think quite a noticable amount.

What kind of epoxy is that? Is this build up to make a smoother intake tract?

It is JB Weld and Permatex Steel Putty with a sandblasted base.
It is there to reduce the reed box and crankcase volume, and to increase mixture velocity and momentum through the reeds.
It significantly widened the power band and noticeably increased power.
There is a link to the thread below.

I recommend it really...

Steve