Can't get axle nut off

nofxfan125

May 9, 2009
Freeland, PA
So I got in my G-Force axle, and I went to change it, but I can not get the inner axle nut off of the axle. What direction should the inner nut turn? I've tried both directions and applied a bunch of heat. I'm using an 18 inch adjustable wrench, so I should have plenty of leverage. It was a pain in the ass to get the outer nut off, but that came off with force. Here's a picture. sh*tty quality.

ndl73p.jpg

pull up from the back side with your wrench......lefty loose

hit it with some pb blaster a few times a day for a few days then try it

HEAT.... we just had a hell of a time getting mine apart... we ended up using an air hammer to get the hub off and used two wrenches on the nuts.. I soaked mine with PB for days too.

HEAT.... we just had a hell of a time getting mine apart... we ended up using an air hammer to get the hub off and used two wrenches on the nuts.. I soaked mine with PB for days too.

How the hell did you use two wrenches? Or do you mean one wrench for each nut, to hold back the axle?

dude you gotta get someone to sit on the quad (heavier the better) an hold the rear brakes and then just pull up on the nut. if your rugged do like i did and pick up the person and the quad with the wrench and drop while holding the wrench then catch it before it hits the ground, should pop loose

if you intend to use that adjustable wrench maybe try and find a cheater bar for more leverage. i just used a monster pipe wrench on mine though. came right off.

Hah. I had a cheater bar on the wrench too. That made the wrench about 40 inches long. I was picking up the quad with 2 other people holding it down.

Well, I got impatient. I sprayed it with PB blaster 3 times, and still couldn't get the nut off. So, not caring too too much about the old axle, I just cut a side of the nut off and went into the axle a little bit too.

1ouj4k.jpg

if PB Blaster can't do it , soak it with coca cola , the acid in coke is amazing stuff , I'm surpirsed I have a stomach lining left . I've soaked all kinda of stuck parts with coke and be-damned it works good . The trick with heat is to cool it first , then hit it with the torch , get a block of ice and set the axle nut on it , or chunks around it , what works great is a styrarfoam ice chest , cut out notches for the axle then pack it with ice , and make a drain hole at the bottom and keep adding fresh ice , check it every 20 minutes , and ice that biotch for 3-4 hours , pour some coke on it as well , just enough to coat it . Then take all that off and hit it with the mapp gas and a 3 foot wrench . It'll budge

a couple whacks with a sharp chisel on the outer nut would of done the trick w/o destroying the nut & the axle shaft, but if you really are in a hurry use a torch next time I:I

whack every other flat one time paralell with the axle with that sharp chisel - it works.