Can It Run With Either Run Switch or Key switch?

cyphertext69

Sep 30, 2007
Leonardtown, (Southern) Maryland
Alright, so I am almost done rebuilding my 240 but I don't have a headlight/run switch on my quad. I do have a key switch.

So my question is this:

If you take the key switch off, it runs fine with just the run switch.

What about the other way around...take the run switch off and leave the key?

There is a pretty logical excuse as to why it's like this too, in case anyone was wondering...one of my buddies needed one and I gave it to him since the one I took it off of was broken so long. I bought a tether kill switch to replace but not too sure how to hook up yet and I want to test this quad out.

you just have to bypass it so that its a stay on switch and use your key as the killer, connect the black and black/white, so its a loop, you have to complete the circuit or it will be as the switch is in off all the time. ignore the other wires on the plug or youll mess up your lights if you should ever want them, black is on the plug and black/white is a single wire, splice em together and make sure you got spark. but yes to answer your ? it will work.

Sheeit

You don't "need" either. Just a matter of wanting a switch to turn it off or not. You can hot wire both and use the choke to kill it, it or stall it.

No law says you need either, both or none.

I'd suggest figuring out the pull cord, though.

A

You don't "need" either. Just a matter of wanting a switch to turn it off or not. You can hot wire both and use the choke to kill it, it or stall it.

No law says you need either, both or none.

I'd suggest figuring out the pull cord, though.

A

That's what I planned to do...run just a tethered kill switch but I am not too sure how to wire it up. It's not like the pro kill switch. It's the tusk kill switch from rocky mountain atv.

Here's the link:
Tusk Power Pull Tether Kill Switch | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

OK

Heres your homework:

In this situation the switches are either open or closed. So you need to figure out if the run/stop switch is open or closed when it is in the "on" position. Connect or disconnect the 2 leads to set the machine in the "run" position. Do the same with the key switch. The quads now hot wired to run. Figure out if the Tusk switch is an open or closed switch. When it is hooked up does it connect something or disconnect someing? Install to make it work. That's it.

I looked at the link, didn't say whether it is a open or closed switch, just check it with a meter.

You are either connecting or disconnecting, just get a continuity meter and go to town. Should take less than 1/2 an hour to do the whole thing.

A

i have neither a run or a kill switch and i know i have to run the white and black wire into the black wire but what about the other switch how do i eliminate that? please let me know

Holy Bad Info, Batman!

Both the key switch and the run/off switch are KILL SWITCHES. Connecting the blk/wht and blk together kills the igniton. You can run without one or the other or both. In the off position they both connect the blk/wht to ground (blk wire) to kill the CDI.

As for a tether, brand doesn't matter. you need a normally open (NO) switch, most manufacturers make both. Connect it to the blk/wht and to ground (or blk wire). Any other switches you get rid of, make sure the blk/wht is taped up or otherwise insulated.