C-list blaster project

Davo

Oct 3, 2014
iowa
I have blaster on c-list 1995 talked down to 300$. It has a seized piston. Says rings are fussed inside the jug and just needs bored. Says skirt is intact and thinks no pieces are in the crank case. I'm wondering about piston bearings. Any thoughts on wether it's worth it?

If ir gonna spend money on bore, and its someone elses project.... Id play it safe and have new piston kit to match new bore and avoid paper gaskets. Lil extra for knowing its new and proper break in procedures are worth it, leak down test once back together

My goal would be to buy it and fix it. Cycle shop here in town says 50 -60$ to bore it if I supply the piston set. I would break in.

Bring $300 but say "all I got is $200" and see if they go for it. :cool:.. Otherwise $300 sounds not bad. $200 sounds better though. Check for after market parts and if all bearings/bushings are tight. $50 sounds right for a bore/hone. Make sure they chamfer the ports too. Plus keep into consideration on what bore the cyl may be on. If its near 67+ and has a good gouge it may be good night for that cyl. Ask them if they know what bore it is on.

I'm most concerned with it needing a new jug and cap. I will look at it in a few days and pick it up if the price is worth the fix up.

What would make a engine seize like that but not break the piston sleeve?

Some form of negligence, maintenance or there lack of. In proper jetting, in proper warm up, dirty filter, air leaks, tolerances, no oil/bad oil, etc... . Seizure is caused when the piston expands faster than the cylinder and the clearance between the piston and cylinder is reduced. Piston heats up faster than the cyl and it decides things are to tight and im not moving any more :mad: :confused:. Mild seizures happen at times and lots of times pple don't even know it.

Hope I can get her down to $250. Says no cracks anywhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
I got it for 250$. Its a mess. Most of its there but shes lived a hard life. I got the Jug off with some PB. The piston slid out hard but came out. I put a rag in the case as soon as a could. Here's the piston.IMG_0329.jpg .
the Jug. IMG_0326.jpg .

The piston rod moves smoothly in the case every thing turns over smooth....From inspection. The only thing on the piston I see missing is a few mm of the first ring. I am debating if that is smashed into the piston and did not fall into the case.

Project day 1.
IMG_0322.jpg

Well the correct thing to do would be split the cases incase the piece of ring did go into the bottom end. Last thing you want to do is spend the time and $$ doing the top end then the bottom end goes on ya. The piston is shot and by the looks of it the cylinder doesn't look to bad, bore and hone and you should be ok. Of course that all depends on what bore it is on. Have you measured the cyl yet? Also it is hard to see but is the frame bent right behind the left lower a arm?

Well the correct thing to do would be split the cases incase the piece of ring did go into the bottom end. Last thing you want to do is spend the time and $$ doing the top end then the bottom end goes on ya. The piston is shot and by the looks of it the cylinder doesn't look to bad, bore and hone and you should be ok. Of course that all depends on what bore it is on. Have you measured the cyl yet? Also it is hard to see but is the frame bent right behind the left lower a arm?

F&$&&* the frame has a slight bend in it. Small but visible.I was told it was at a 68.25. so I would imagine its done with its life.It had a pump delete and they did terrible job of it.
I deeper you look the more you say "no wonder this happened"

I noticed the ring broke at the exhaust port. So I jiggled the pipe around and pieces of ring fell out.......the plot gets thicker.

Last edited:
That sux man. You can find good cylinders of you look around. that or resleeve the one you have.. Measure it first though to make sure. you may get lucky. From what I can see the cyl wall does look thin though.

Its a real head scracher. On one side I am not afraid of splitting the case. I think there is a good bit of info on youtube for that. I love a challenge. I am looking at having a total of 629$ in it. The frame still looks and seems to be straight.

I will pick up another 98 at the end of the week for $125. Between the two, every things covered. Just gaskets and brake pads. The 98 has a good frame.

Reactions: bansheedave