Blaster Fix up!

My son just replaced a front wheel brg on his SS Silverado, if there would have been a way to even stick a grease needle into it I'd put more grease into it. They are VERY expensive unit brgs.

My take on extra grease, which I believe is not required.
The bearing, itself, consists of an inner race, an outer race, balls and a cage which evenly distributes the balls. Common bearings are designed to allow for a radial load with some limited axial loading. ALL BEARINGS ARE LUBRICATED WITH OIL.
Grease, itself, is an oil sponge. The base (spongy) part of the grease varies depending on the manufacturer, temperature, environment and user preference. The grease holds the oil in suspension and allows the oil to flow during operation. The oil compresses between the bearing balls, inner and outer races and the cage, reducing friction. Ball bearings have small, microscopically rough surfaces on the balls, these surfaces move the oil, holding it to the ball during operation.
When too much grease is added, the grease is compressed between the bearing surfaces, increasing pressure and resulting with heat. Too little grease causes the surface friction to increase, resulting with heat.

If a bearing heats up any extra grease that cannot be contained within the seal will be expelled.
When the bearing cools the grease will be drawn back into the bearing, if there is any contamination of the expelled grease by water or dirt, this will be drawn back into the bearing, eventually causing its destruction.

The manufacturer puts adequate grease in their bearings. Just enough to allow expansion without expulsion, and enough for lubrication.

Last edited:
However you pack a bearing, especially with a lot of grease, you must keep all contaminants away from the bearing surfaces.

Some peeps do this on a carrier by filling the complete carrier with grease so that the only thing that can be sucked back in is clean grease, but woe betide if that grease gets contaminated.

Heat and penetrant comes to mind, with the correct Allen key.

I'll try it once my heater heats up my garage, with all this snow it's like an ice cube in there.

Do chains come without master links? With BMX bikes the only time i saw a chain without a master link in it was when it was a stock chain, if it's the same with these chains, my chain is 13 years old!

Do not cheap out, it is time to replace the whole set.

The back one may look fine but it will be worn out as well.

New chain and sprockets are the way to go!