Bad flywheel magnets??

slimeee

Jun 28, 2014
Ok so im getting 3 volts to ignition coil. No spark. New oem stator new cdi. Only thing left to replace is flyheel. Do these go bad. Lose magnetism? How do i test straight from stator that its producing enough juice. Stator ohm tests are within spec. I bought the quad with stator cover off missing bolts etc. Original stator was bad and replaced. Only thing left to try is a different magneto, Before buying a new one i wanna make sure its bad

i really want to see this troubled blaster got pics??
if i was having all of your trouble i would not be trying to eliminate switches and what not till i got the thing to run!
i really not sure if i have any faith in that generic cdi you bought,Is the old oem one bad?
can you try the oem cdi?
Have you tried grounding the plug to side of engiine to see if it sparks?
i dont see how the magnets could just go bad unless they got seperated,broke,then previous owner tryed to rig it up to look like all was well.
coil is good or have you tryed cutting 1/4 inch off the boot then twisting it back on?
No paint on frame were the grounds go?
What year is your blaster? Do you have 4 wire stator or 5 wire stator?
please answer all of the ?,s and get me a pic lol :):D;)

me me.gif

Last edited:
i really want to see this troubled blaster got pics??
if i was having all of your trouble i would not be trying to eliminate switches and what not till i got the thing to run!
i really not sure if i have any faith in that generic cdi you bought,Is the old oem one bad?
can you try the oem cdi?
Have you tried grounding the plug to side of engiine to see if it sparks?
i dont see how the magnets could just go bad unless they got seperated,broke,then previous owner tryed to rig it up to look like all was well.
coil is good or have you tryed cutting 1/4 inch off the boot then twisting it back on?
No paint on frame were the grounds go?
What year is your blaster? Do you have 4 wire stator or 5 wire stator?
please answer all of the ?,s and get me a pic lol :):D;)

View attachment 10911
I bought this thing all torn apart missing tons of bolts guy spray painted frame but i cleaned the ground source under the coil . he had all wiring torn apart. Ive checked continuity between all wires from stator to cdi. Cdi is grounded where the tors brain was mounted in the screw that held the tors brain. I check continuity between wires from ground under coil and groumd where cdi is and i have continuity. I replaced stator because original stator tested bad on the source coil 168 ohms. New stator tests out good. There was rust on flywheel magnets so i sprayed with pb blaster and sanded away rust. There was also some white stuff on bolts that mounted stator plate that i dodnt clean off. What i have now is stator wired direct to cdi and orange wire straight to coil. Stator ground wire goes direc to coil ground. Cdi ground goes direct to old mounting bolt for tors brain. Voltage regulator is off not using headlights. So my orange with red wire from stator for the headlights is not connected anywhere. The black white from cdi is disconnected this is the kill switch? I will work on pics. Cylinder has been bored and honed to next oversize. Cometic gaskets. I bought this thing with the head off. Piston rings were toast, Guy said all it needed was rings. But no spark its.a.mess. ill post pics soon.

Sorry man its a 93 4 wire stator. Guy said he nought the ignition coil off ebay and it was from a 2002 blaster. Im am completely new to these things still learning.

The more i think maybe the plate of stator isnt grounded because thise bolts had white crap on em that i didnt think to clean. Flywheel lined up with key and went in smoothed and torqued to 53 ft lbs.

I already replaced the stator with brand new yamaha oem. Still no spark after replacing thats why i tried cdi cause already tried everything else. I still have oem cdi.

Ignition coil is yaamaha oem but its from a 2002 not sure if that works on a 93? I hold spark plug against cylinder head and kick over no spark. Carb is completely rebuil with tors elimination motion pro cable witj idle needle. I havent gone further with putting carb on and gas tank because i need spatk first, havent tested compression but i can tell its good hard to kick and blows my finger off the spark plug hole, Think i need a spark test light so i can be sure, I just hold plug against head and nothing

Looks like we are having the exact same problem. New stator etc and only 3 volts. Almost seems like somethings grounding out

i found the black and black/white stripe wire making contact inside the taped harness once.
in the wiring harness, right around where it crosses over the frame tube under the tank, is a 3 wire connection for the black ground wires, after trying every igniton part from my running bike, i started to untape the harness, and found the solder of the 3 wire connection had a point of solder sticking off it, and it had worked it's way thru the tape and into the black/white wire, which was intermittently killing the ignition.
the black/wht wire and that 3 wire black connection inside the harness is worth a look.

Hey demon let me know if you figure it out. Tje only thing i havrnt tried is a different flywheel/magnets.

Awk i have all wires untapped removed. There are no kill wires anywhere except stator wires going straight to cdi. I have just the source coil wire and pickup wire going to cdi from stator, then just orange going to ign coil. Removed voltage regulator not using headlights and tors brain has been removed. Im going for minimal wiring no headlights no kill switch. Will put kill switch on after i get some spark.

This craigslist quad has been a nightmare

I have a faint blue spark that's about 3-6 volts. Cleaned magnets and case area. 4 stators, 2 keys and 3 cdis and still a weak spark. Ill let you know if i figure it out. Hoping its sooner than later

Same here think I've got some grey hairs coming in lol If you hold your cdi ground will it shock you? I keep getting a weak spark but yet i hold the cdi ground and i get a powerful shock with each revolution

Havent tried holding wires yet but gott a feelimg this think just wants to sit permanently.

i got a test light brand new never opened wall mart like $8 dollars

have you been reading up in the electrical section on here?
i noticed strokeddemon was viewing a thread in electrical section and the culprit was the flywheel:)