back firing

skyler1991

May 24, 2015
Central Illinois
Ok so long story short we welded on the quad without turning ignition off. me not knowing what the hell im doing fried everything. i replaced all electrical components on the quad, stator, CDI, Volt Meter,Ignition coil and wiring. i also took off the TORS system and put a direct line to the carburetor with the conversion kit.

After doing all of this i regained and made progress and got spark back in the quad, NOW it wont turn over. the kick start doesnt catch all the time so we either push start or pull behind another quad to get her going. was bought used so i could have a project to work on but didnt know it would be this much work. i am thinking it is having low compression problems or in need of a top end rebuild hence the stator i replaced into the quad is an exact replica of the one that was in it already so im not thinking it is timing related. also just replaced the flywheel key and 17mm flywheel nut cause the key some how broke in half in the flywheel.

any kind of assistance or tips on how i can get my project going would be greatly appreciated. im all new to this kinda thing. i know i am dumb for welding on it in the first place but it was not my idea lol

If the woodruff key broke then there is a possibility that the tapers are damaged and the flywheel may have slippe the timing by breaking the new key.

The flywheel will need lapping to the crank taper.

It is not the nut that holds the flywheel but the interference fit of the tapers.

Reactions: skyler1991
If you bought an aftermarket stator... There's your problem. I've never fried any electrical components from welding, but I'm 96% sure that the only thing you could have fried, that effects the running, would be the CDI. If you fried the voltage regulator, that would only cause burned out light bulbs.

That will make sense with the hard starting and having to pull it to get it to start but also bad reeds will do the same. A simple compression test will let you know if you are in the realm of needing a top end or not,, 120ish is good, anything below would need some attn.

im not sure how it happend but it appears to be a dent in the piston

Attachments

• 11994465_10152972322847391_1275048046_n.jpg
    11994465_10152972322847391_1275048046_n.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 233
Thats part of how there made if you mean the center ..Buuuut there is a chip missing on the left side of piston in pic. Thers yor prob.. You may have other issues also if that piece is/was floating around in bottom end.

Looks like something got caught against the piston trying to get out the exhaust port. We're you able to get a compression test before you took it apart?

i was able to easily push the kick start leaver down with one finger, was no resistance, took the top off the engine where the spark plug is and there was a lot of black oily residue and the spot on the piston,

also putting this out there i bought as a project. lol

i was able to easily push the kick start leaver down with one finger, was no resistance, took the top off the engine where the spark plug is and there was a lot of black oily residue and the spot on the piston,

also putting this out there i bought as a project. lol

Well if it takes as much to kick it over without a plug as it does with one the you have a bit of a project on your hands, make sure and check your clearances on the bottom end and if it doesnt need sent off replace the seals and gaskets while you are waiting
For the top to come back.
Shouldn't have to look to far to find out what an air leak can do......