Atv laws in snow

tyler1blaster

Aug 16, 2009
virginia
Hey guys l haven't been real active
On here lately and it seems that some things have changed.... But that's not why I'm here.... I have a question, if it snows and the dirtroads are covered is it legal to ride on them? My buddies and I were riding the hard packed snow all day.... I'm just curious... It's so much fun...

We had about 6 inches a few weeks ago and they had a big write up in the paper of an atv that was chased and finally stopped on the street i live on and they arrested him for felony fleeing, eludeing,stop sign violations,speeding and i forget how many more charges. Is it really worth the risk of looseing your driving license? Funny thing was they went into detail of how people like us are modding are atvs for high speeds.

Up here in Wisconsin, same thing, a road is a road. There are a lot of dirt roads in the north that little townships made atv legal but thats it for road riding. Funny thing is where I live the sleds ride every where in the ditches to get to the trails, and I mean every where. Across nice blacktop drive ways with carbides on their skis, late at night or early morn. So why cant I ride the ditch then with out getting in trouble.

I wish I was there! Haha I got the cops called on me when I was breaking in my motor. It was sitting in the street behind my truck idling!!!! I hate my damn neighbors lol.

awwww thats balls... they dont appreciate us on the paved roads but we can pull right up to the gas pumps without problem and we take the quads barhoppin every so often too lol. when freek and batttbike came up here to ride they couldnt belive how we just did what we wanted lol

Attachments

• 1233600467037.jpg
    1233600467037.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 192
You just havent met barney fife yet if you think you can do what you want. Some cops will look away some want to be asswhipes.

its not something i look to do but they are 0-3 so far lol. BUT every time we have ran into a cop we were over by one of the lakes around here on a paved road, our bad for sure but eh you cant make everyone hapy lol. i dont even have a bill of sale and its so old the vin is long gone for my quad since i completely built it so i am not playing that game with the police :eek: :eek: i would probally have to pull up my build thread here just to prove its mine!!

Its a tough call for me... I'm in such a small town in NC that you can usually get away with quite a bit. The cops tend to be too lazy or busy to mess with us quad riders in bad weather. It snowed a couple weeks ago and I rode my Polaris all over town, towed a couple sledders in the street, you know... generally had fun. I passed a 400ex and a couple other 4x4 Brutes out doing the same. The PD in a neighboring county got on the news and said that as long as you were wearing a helmet and not acting stupid, they would leave you alone and let you ride until the snow and ice melted.

That being said, its still risky here. I wouldn't take to the road on a quad unless I was snowed in. State troopers do come through town and can be real assholes. And if you get caught (by any cop), there's nothing stopping them from impounding the machine. Somebody recently tried to run from the popo's down NC177 on a Raptor 660, and from what I heard, the cops intentionally wrecked him. They closed in on him doing about 70, and one cop turned into the guy's quad, sending the Raptor and rider flipping off into the ditch. Ouch. The guy got arrested before he even realzied what was going on...

I was told by a cop thats its legal to ride on the streets here if your not in city limits and there is 6 or more inches of snow on the roads...

Around here we have the state of emergency rule but,
everytime we get a good amount peeps ride on the road anyways.
Thing is they rarely ever call the state of emergency rule.
The real life rule is if it's too sh*tty out for cars (and cop cars) then ATV's have the roads haha

it all farmland here so as long as im in the ditch, summer or winter they dont seem to bother too much. i did get stopped once at some sand pits. actually i was already stopped taking a break and a cop drove up to me and said i tried to run from him..wtf??? gave me a ticket, but not my friend on his raptor. i think the cop was jelous of my banshee lol.

I live on a farm..and the snowmobile trail goes across my field... and the other day the cops stopped me driving on my driveway and my field because they thought i was driving my atv in the snow and on the snowmobile trails/ the road.... I know in northern ontario you can ride your atv on certain highways and back roads, but thats pretty far up north, and im not sure if they allow it in the winter..seems dangerous to me...