An easier way to read a plug for better tuning

justjosh

Apr 19, 2009
This is something ive been doing for about 12 years. I ride almost everyday and in return do quite a bit of maintnance. I hope this helps someone if you didnt know the trick already. This was coppied from cyclexchange.net because he explains it a lil better than i can

NGK vs Champion

We talk a lot about Dynos and fuel to air ratios. The proper fuel to air ratio will mean you have reached your motors potential horsepower. Dynos are a luxury and not available to everyone so we try to explain what we have discovered on the Dyno for you. I was driving to work this morning and remembered something we did before Dynos were available to us.

Reading spark plugs is common knowledge in many publications. They will show you pictures of spark plugs and expect you to duplicate the color as shown. (Thats cool.) Ever notice your plugs never really look the same as the pictures? Here is what we did years ago!!!!! During the tuning process, NGK spark plugs never seemed to show the coco brown color we were after. We would switch to Champion spark plugs for the tuning process. (Oh no, Champions?) Yes, Champion spark plugs show color better and are easier to read. Then of course we switch back to NGKs

Note:
Once again, there are many variables in tuning the internal combustion motor. Even Dynos are not exact at times. This is just a little tip we did years ago and hope this helps you someday!!!!!