'99 Kx 125 in blaster.

Banshee87

Jul 28, 2011
Girlfriends brother blew up his blaster and the case is warped. I told him ill put my kx 125 in it for him if the price is right. Just wondering if the motor will go in without to much trouble. Motor mounts are no problem im a good welder i just dont know about the swingarm and motor. Any ideas? If i fits its a good prodject i can do everything else. If not idk if i trust a weld to hold a swingarm together. Any input is appreciated thanks.

I don't know lots of people use 250 2's in blaster frames your gonna have to make really good welds and be exact in lining up the sprockets. Along with everything else you put onto it. But the main issue is how much power your gonna feel on the ass dyno. Cause like I said lots of people have done it with the 250's but you got half that right off the bat and no advantage.unless it's a really built motor then it's gonna feel like a really expensive underpowered pain in the ass. If you can get your hands on a KX 250 I'd say go for it and make us proud but for now I wouldent.

Are you crazy? A KX125 engine EASILY makes more power than most of the blasters on this site... ~30hp stock. Blaster is 18ish stock.

125 dirt bike motors are way more powerful pound for pound than a blaster 200cc motor. When it comes down to it, our engine is a lump in stock form. Its HORRIBLY underpowered.

The simple fact is, the KX125 motor will make more power in stock form than a blaster at 75cc less. It may not be quite as torquey, but it will definately kick any blasters ass that hasnt been ported and possibly even had a 240 kit added to it.

It It pretty heavily ported. And has a namura piston. Std bore. Good clutch. It has an 11 tooth on it in the bike. I think if i leave the small front and put on a bigger rear sprocket to match it that it would have enough power. Probly not the fastest but it would be snappy and responsive. people told me they have done it with a yz 85 and it worked good with good power. So im wondering. I know a 250 would be perfect but im pretty sure if i set it all up right it will work. But if you dont think so tell me. Id hate to put money into it and get it all done nice and not have the power it needs

Dude, Im telling you, a KX 125 engine in a blaster would be enough to beat a lot of things.

Theyre in the 30s hp wise stock. Blasters are at ~18. Thats a huge difference.

I think the thing would rip hard. Once you are in the 30s with a Blaster, anything more is useless IMO. If its a trail quad, you will already have your hands full with it wanting to lift up and with your tires spinning.

I actually think it would be a cool swap. Dont underestimate those little CC dirtbike motors. Hell, Ill bet a KX 80 engine makes more power than a blasters does stock.

Alright sweet dude. I will probly be starting it this week. Ill have pictures on here and Banshee Hq to see my progress. Banshee Hq name is Dahl87banshee. I thought it would be cool. Ill be coming back and forth between Hq and here on tips and suggestions for some stuff. Thanks for the help guys.

The biggest thing with this swap will be to not kill power with the exhaus pipe. You gotta find a way to try and keep the same pipe geometry as the dirtbike has. Its such an important part of a 2 stroke engine - the design and geometry of the pipe. You can make or break it if you do, or dont do the pipe right.

I have a Pro circuit pipe on the bike. Good mid to top end. I will cut the frame and welt motor mounts a little higher if it means being able to use that pipe.

i'd say if you could get stronger springs and a better clutch setup all together, you'd probably have the durability of a stock setup in the yz125 frame. i dont know the weight difference or anything between the bike and the quad, its probably not going to be too terribly much, but you have to spin two wheels and an axle, instead of one wheel.

Just starting pulling the Blaster motor tonight. Then it started getting dark. Tomoro i should have the motor out of the wheeler and the bike and start making motor mounts. Pretty excited about this built to see how it turns out. I have thought about the clutch alot. Heavy springs and new fiber plates are being put in hopefully before its put together completely. That should hold up for at least a couple years

Damn, I give you a linc and you end up joining :D Set the sprocket perfect for side to side and as close to stock up&down, front/back . Pipe is hardest part. As to the clutch, I'd run what you got, then when it goes change it, or maybe use heavy springs from the git-go.

Was the blaster engine that shot that it wasn't worth rebuilding? :eek:

Lol yeah thanks for the link. And i really am not sure if its blown that bad. I had it firing yesterday before i started taking it apart. It was locked but runs. After it gets warm it locks back up. Im guessing crank bearings going out. Makes a tick like the piston is going a little to high. Idk though. He offered $1000 for the motor/labor/steel it will take to get it going. I figured why not. Ill just sell the blaster motor i guess to pay for things i need. Anybody want it? As for the clutch in the bike motor. I have heavy spring in it right now with like 15 mins on them. They should last a while i think.

Ok first obsticle of the whole thing. Motor doesnt fit into swing arm for the motor mount. I chop off some of the swing arm by the bushings right? Or what do i do?

Thats what i just got done doing. Worked great. Motor is in right now. Still need to make my motor mounts but the back motor mount is in and i have a block holding up the front of the motor. I was thinking the kx's radiators would work on it too. On the each side of the frame. Any ideas on a different radiator or how good that would work?