BLASTER STARTS BOGGING RIGHT BEFORE POWER BAND KICKS IN

Tylerpet12321

Feb 16, 2022
Hey guys its my first post here, but i have a 2001 yamaha blaster which i picked up and the only issue it had was that it wouldent idle. The bike also came with a gold series fmf pipe and powercore 2 silencer. It is fitted with 230 main jet and 35 pilot. since i got it home i removed the tors and added the idle screw to the carb. Ever since then it has had several issues, It is smoking a lot. The throttle is getting hung up and takes it awhile to go down(the slide or cable isnt getting stuck). and the main issue is that right before the power band hits, the bike just starts to die like it has a rev limiter. It is very confusing, i dont know if the bike is running rich or lean or if its an electrical issue... i plan on doing plug chops tomorrow. I have cleaned the carb several times and it is SPOTLESS. I have changed the spark plug, the float height is perfect... i have checked several times. compression is 120. and the needle clip is set in the middle. Any advice would be great, Im just completely stuck!!

thanks man for the advice. i ordered a 260 but might have to order some sizes up aswell. do u think i should get a stock pilot jet??? also I put some new gas in the bike and mixed it at 32:1, after that the smoking issue went WAY WAY WAY down, also Im able to get full throttle range out of the atv, and the revs and idle dont hang basically at all(just every so slightly cause i believe im running a little lean) i plan on building a leakdown tester within the next couple days. And im gonna do plug chops when i get the new main jet sizes. The only issue im having now is that it slightly spudders/hesitates right before reaching the powerband. i just hope that is due to the main jet being too small... What are your thoughts?????-- thanks so much !!!!

Go to the FMF website they have base line jetting. You have to adjust for your perametors , elevation , air filter type, air box lid, and the BIG ONE temperature
IIRC 270 is baseline and stock pilot

Reactions: Tylerpet12321
So I'm on a fresh top end with a FMF Fatty and Powercore 2 Silencer, no TORS, in my 2001 Blaster and I'm running a 290 Main at 2300' elevation at 70°F and so far seems to be good, but will be doing plug chops here in the next few days to verify.

The 32:1 mix with fresh premium gas and a good two stroke oil makes a huge difference in smoke.