86 TRX250r for our Dad

A blanket for the helper or the quad? lol.. Looks really good man, nice job.. I Like the original look the best..

The 250 R fender decals really make it pop. Looks great Fred!

Countdown has begun, officially 2 weeks away from riding, I have been working so much lately I can hardly wait 2 more weeks to give this to Dad and go riding.

28 foot U-haul has been reserved to bring everything from Neil's to the farm!

Max is coming now too and is bringing his younger brother from Uruguay, said he couldn't miss all of this.

Thank you to everyone who has helped and followed the build.

Reactions: armyboyjared
A week from today, this thing will finally be out of my garage! I was with my Dad tonight, and was thinking 1 more week, 1 more week...1 more week.

I have a strange feeling that he can still ride it like he did 25 years ago....that man just does not age.

Reactions: jus_me and duntov1
There is a lot to say about this whole thread. I think it's bad ass that you did that for your dad! Not to many stories floating around like this one. Have a camera ready when he sees it, that will be a priceless lifelong memory.

Also nice job on cleaning the plastics. What did you use? I like spray nine to remove old dirt and crud from plastics.

Looks awesome Fred!

Reactions: dirtysquared
I used a scotch brite pad/sponge, some scrub free shower cleaner, and alot of elbow grease. It took alot of the grime and dirt out, but there is still some stains on it that I can't get out.

We will post the pics of him getting it, probably right after it happens!

Does anyone know the 50/50 trick with linseed oil and something else? It works wonders for restoring plastics. Can't recommend it enough. Someone on here knows the other chemical that's needed.

Does anyone know the 50/50 trick with linseed oil and something else? It works wonders for restoring plastics. Can't recommend it enough. Someone on here knows the other chemical that's needed.

never heard of this, but youtube has :)
60/40 paint thinnner and boiled linseed oil

looks like it's mainly for oxidation ?

That video doesn't speak well enough for how well that trick really works. My dad did it at 50/50 on his '94 Banshee plastics and they look brand new. Never had a thought or chance to try it at different ratios, but I will be doing this to the Timberwolf that's in the garage.

And yes, it is for oxidation. It really does make it look like it has a deep color to it. Gives it a nice shine, too. The only thing that I don't like is that it leaves a light, oily film, but that can be wiped off.

image.jpg

That looks like one happy poppa. Tell him happy fourth of fathers day! From the bf crew.

Although he looks a tad less muddy than some.

did he rip it?

oh he ripped it alright, that thing lit up the tires in first and kept spinning thru 4-5th gear from what i saw.
i posted these in the ride thread, but will throw them in here too....

1234.jpg

and the vintage helmet that goes with it
2345.jpg

Reactions: MercMenace