86 TRX250r for our Dad

dirtysquared

DirtyDirty
Jun 30, 2013
South Western PA
Like the title says, My brother bought a 86 250r to give to our Dad, hopefully around father's day. The old man bought one new in 87, and sold it in 1995. He has always kicked himself in the ass for selling it. We are going to try to keep this a secret from him.

The plan is to get it running again and get it to look like his old one did. I tore into it today to find a hole blown in the piston, and the now powdered aluminum debris all through the crankcase.

We are going to send this Cylinder out for a bore, hone, and new Wiseco Piston. I'm going to split the cases, change the bearings and seals, and get the mess out of there.

The good things on this 250r is Tripple rate Works shocks w/rezzies, Full FMF Fatty and Powercore2. The frame is in great shape for being 28 years old. The wheels are still the original gold, its pretty tight all around.

The bad things so far other than the cylinder, needs Rear axle bearings, chain and sprockets, and the plastics need a good cleaning and some stitches put pack in.

I'm trying to get my brother to join the site and follow along on the rebuild since it is his bike. I know this is a Blaster site, but if I'm rebuilding something, I want to share it with my BF family.

Here's the pics:
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG

Reactions: Herpderplol
thats great fred, can't wait to see what you do with it !

nice! I wish my kid would get me a 250r! only thing I never liked about them is the forward kick. I dented up my shin pretty good cause of a 250r...lol

Reactions: Herpderplol
Boy that hurts! I have a 250x and when riding in the snow your foot slips and ow! Ive had that kicker hit me in the same spot at least 10 times in a day.

I'm heading to the store in a little bit. I'm going to grab some stuff to start doing the plastics up. I'm Planning on sanding them down some, then Mop&Glo to get a shine. A couple places where they are cracked are stiched together with zipties, most are old and dryrotted. I'll pick some of those up too.

I found this picture on google, this is what He wants to get it back to looking like. Its actually close, other than some graphics and seat cover.. My brother has been looking for them, and I'm sure he will find some eventually.

My one buddy has had a few 86 and 87 250r's in his life. Yesterday he gave me the last of his parts from them. There is a nice assortment of gaskets, stock shocks, Intakeboot, seat brackets, and a bunch of little things. All those little parts will help on a job like this. He also checked it out, and gave his stamp of approval. He said that its all there, and that's rare. That made us feel alot better.

My brother is currently working out of the country. He normally lives in Florida, but his job took him to St.Croix for a year. Whats nice is we Facetimed on the Iphone and ipod, and he got to see some live action shots of it yesterday. I know its bothering him to not be here, but I'll do my best to get it done right for the old man.

I've got things disguised pretty good in my garage so my Dad doesn't notice it. If he does, I'm going to say I'm rebuilding it for my buddy, and hoping he buys that story.

87brochureLrg.jpg

Nice find. Pops should be real pleased.. I have lots of Nos oem 250r parts if you need anything let me know, bearings, seals, gaskets, bushings, heads, tranny, etc .. Ill hook you up. Ill send you a pm with my info..

That's so cool guys!!! I'm following the thread. Cant wait for updates Fred. Your dad's going to freak I hope I can be around for the unveiling :)

Reactions: dirtysquared