50 psi???

Dub5

Aug 25, 2009
Everett, WA
Hey guys,

Took my 01 blaster out last week and within the first 5 mins it died going up the smallest hill. It died repeated times then finally would not start for the rest of the day. It hasnt started since and still wont. I took it to the motorsport shop in town and they said it only had 50PSI. I cant pay for labor and want to try looking into it myself, so he suggested looking into the crankcase, cyliner, piston.. you get the picture. So I plan on tearing into it real deep this weekend but just trying to get all the insight I can so I can at least pretend I know what I'm doing. Worked on cars before, never motorcycles. Any major obvious problems this could be a result of? any special tools needed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Chris
A.k.a Dub5

topend....take the head off and the jug have it bored and get a new piston and rings easy to do man if you need any help just ask

rings are probly worn. get a bore/hone for like 50 bucks then get a new piston $100 and new gaskets $30. its very simple just take the jug off take out cir clips, pop out the wrist pin and swap the new piston simple.

You the man YB. I downloaded a manual on teardown, hopefully it goes smooth. Appreciate the help bro. Expensive fix at all? Assuming Ill do All the labor..

make sure you check the piston to wall clearance and ring gap.. when buying gaskets try and find gaskets that are teh same thickness as the factory gaskets... if the base gasket thickness differs form stock then your port timing is effected.. it's not as easy as throw a piston in and keep goin... in fact when you tear it down please post a couple pictures of the piston.. often times a wasted topend is the result of a different problem... oh and when you done assembling everything LEAK DOWN TEST!!!

i'll post links to articles i've written for "how to build a leakdown tester for around $20" and "how to use a leakdown tester"

370 is correct diagnose the problem just don't throw parts at it. Post up pics like he said so we can help you find the cuz of your problem.

Actually putting a piston in a 4 stroke is the same as a two stroke, it only takes like 5 mins to get the timing chain right

in fact do a leakdwon test BEFORE you disassemble it. great way of diagnosign your problem.

Actually putting a piston in a 4 stroke is the same as a two stroke, it only takes like 5 mins to get the timing chain right

guess i should've been more clear every 4 stroke i've opened had more problems than a wasted cylinder when i got there...so i may not have a fair comparison

Yea, Ill post some pics That leakdown info will come in handy too. Wont be able to start teardown for a few mroe days unfortuneatly.

that break in info is ritualisitic bullshit.. people put WAY to much time and thought into braking in a 2 cycle..

a good break in takes about a half hour -45 mins.. TOPS!! you need to run through 4 or 5 heat cycles then your ready to rock... thta easy... this 1/2 throttle for half tank.. 9/16 throttle for half tank.. it's all bullshit... oh ans i'll get ya the leakdown info now.