34mm PJ Carb for stock displacement

PMitchell08

Apr 15, 2010
Uniontown, OH
Just wanted to get a few opinions on a carb I'm considering for my 03 Blaster. There's a 34mm Keihin PJ on Craigslist for $100. My first question is, would 34mm be over-carbureted on stock displacement? I have an FMF gold series pipe, shorty silencer, pro-design intake, vito's reed spacer, breathable airbox lid, UNI stock-style filter. No port work done, cylinder 100% factory. I would prefer to get a 30-32mm, but I saw this and became interested.

I have heard some say a 34mm or 35mm will be unbearably lean for a standard bore and should only be used in strokers or big bores because the larger displacement draws more air/fuel into the cylinder. Others say they are happy with their 34's and have had no issues getting the right tuning.

My next question is, what is a reasonable price to pay for a used 34mm keihin? I think he's a little high at $100, although it does include a cable. I know the same carb new on Ebay is $160 shipped. Would i be a low baller if said $80, considering it's cash and pickup? Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think I'll buy it for more than $80. If anyone else has any input the discussion is still open to your ideas on tuning or better carb alternatives.

Thanks,

-Pat

Ok sice were tlking bout carbs, im thinking bout getting my motor ported and im running a pwk28. What if i get it ported? will the carb restrict anything?

34pj's go for around 40-50 bucks in my area. 80 with cable would be high in my mind. i think a 34 carb is on the big end for a stock motor but will be easily tunable. may have more of a bog on the bottom end until you get up in the rpm's though.

Ok sice were tlking bout carbs, im thinking bout getting my motor ported and im running a pwk28. What if i get it ported? will the carb restrict anything?

Just send the 28 out and get it taper bored to 30mm if you want to go the cheap route. Boring a carb doesn't cost much. When I bored my stock carb to 30mm I think I paid like $40. You can go up to a 33PWK or 34PJ as well if you want to spend more $$$.

well im in the same boat kind im hopefully gettin lrd exhaust vforce reeds and im gonna port it ken said for my drivin style i need a 34mm so idk seems a lil big for bottom end but if you mostly drive high speeds/rpm then id get it

Thanks for the input everyone. I just got pics from the seller and was a little surprised, It's not a 34mm, and it's not a PJ. It's a PWK, looks to be the older style, with the bolt on cap rather than the screw on, same as the OKO clones. I assume it's a 28mm but there's nothing to reference in the pic to know for sure. When I talked to the seller on the phone he agreed to $80, but that was before I saw the pics and knew what it actually was. Let me know what you think it's worth, and if you think it's what I need.

Keihin%201.jpg

Keihin%202.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I just got pics from the seller and was a little surprised, It's not a 34mm, and it's not a PJ. It's a PWK, looks to be the older style, with the bolt on cap rather than the screw on, same as the OKO clones. I assume it's a 28mm but there's nothing to reference in the pic to know for sure. When I talked to the seller on the phone he agreed to $80, but that was before I saw the pics and knew what it actually was. Let me know what you think it's worth, and if you think it's what I need.

Keihin%201.jpg

Keihin%202.jpg

'28mm is better for stock displacement and stock porting. I wouldn't pay 80 for a 28PWK though.

Hmmm. Actually, for your use (without porting) the 28mm pwk (thats what that is) is a better choice. 80 is a little high for a used 28 but not that bad. The 34pj is a harder carb to tune and your low end will suffer. My 94 LOVES the 28 pwk that is on it. I wish my race motor (on the 04) had the low end that the 94 has. Most people don't use all the top end they have, but low end torque for wheelies and spinning tires is always a blast.

Keihin%201.jpg

Keihin%202.jpg

i dont like that because the fuel inlet is on the wrong side of the carb for our motors.. or am i missing something??? lol

you aint missin anything noobs, fuel inlet and idle screw on the right side, choke on the left