250 blaster sputters amd doesn't run right

Michaelw1998

Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, just bought a 250 blaster, the bloke before me had it running but when dropped off wouldn't run, I cleaned the carby, changed out the fuel and the spark plug. I ended up getting it to run, although it's really rough just dies If I dont hold the throttle, and when I do hold the throttle it just revs super low and blows heaps of smoke. any help is much appreciated. thanks guys

Hey Michael, just for info, Blasters are only 195cc and the factory calls them 200cc as in YFS200.
There are bore and stroke kits that raise a Blaster's displacement to about 240cc.
If you call it a 250 Blaster, the guys on here will politely smile and realize you are a newby.
This info will spare you from all the coy smiles!

There are a lot of things that can cause the smoke and rough low revs.
Bad seals or a crack letting the gearbox oil into the engine.
The carb float needle not seating causing fuel to overflow.
Bad reed valves. Timing off. Plugged exhaust.

Do you still have the oil injection system working? Are you using plain gas/petrol?
Is the smoke blackish, blue or white?
What does the plug look like? Brown? Black? Dry? Wet?

Steve

My bad I've never ridden nor owned a blaster before lol thanks for the heads up. I got it running yesterday got it to rev well! but It did blow bluey greyish colour smoke. but also felt like it was lacking a bit of power. I was using plain petrol. and I cleaned the carby the floats and the needle and that's how I got it to start and ride.

My bad I've never ridden nor owned a blaster before lol thanks for the heads up. I got it running yesterday got it to rev well! but It did blow bluey greyish colour smoke. but also felt like it was lacking a bit of power. I was using plain petrol. and I cleaned the carby the floats and the needle and that's how I got it to start and ride.

The bottom of the case may have filled with old thick oil too.
Make sure the oil injection is working.
It doesn't dribble very much oil but it has to dribble!

While the engine is running, pull the line off for a few seconds.
You can have it off for a minute at idle without hurting the engine, but stick with a quick inspection.