2000 Yamaha Banshee Tear Down and Rebuild

DirtDiggler

DUNEFREEK
Nov 24, 2009
Tacoma , Wa
Ok it starts again this time with the shee I'm gonna strip it to the frame the engine is already built but I'm swapping to the single carb intake and the 2-1 pipe combo for low and mid range power
I'll be selling some parts I won't be reusing not a whole lot but a few
I'll post up pics as soon as I get started
I plan on a +4 to +6 swingarm 660 conversion plastics and who knows what else!!!! Just limited by imagination !

you will not like the 2-1 pipe, get some FMF fatties for the low end to mid range pull.
also the +4 or +6 swinger is not needed. you will be running pretty much a basic stock engine, the long of a swingarm will kill the trailability of the banshee. stick with stock length swingarm.

if you want more mid range power, get a trail port, the head cut, and advance the timing a little. this will help you get some more power of the the banshee.

you will not like the 2-1 pipe, get some FMF fatties for the low end to mid range pull.
also the +4 or +6 swinger is not needed. you will be running pretty much a basic stock engine, the long of a swingarm will kill the trailability of the banshee. stick with stock length swingarm.

if you want more mid range power, get a trail port, the head cut, and advance the timing a little. this will help you get some more power of the the banshee.

I have fmf exhaust now , and I'm building it so I have the lower rpm powerband , I ride the dunes and the desert so the extended swingarm is for ride comfort and climbing hills .

a +6 is huge for a stock motor even for the dunes.
if you want a lower powerband, get it ported for low end and have the head cut, usually more compression helps with low end power. and there really isn't a good 2-1 pipe out there.
i do know someone with a new shearer 2-1 dune pipe and he said he likes it.
for dunes and hill climbing, you want a good solid mid range power. that way you can keep the rpms up and not worry about downshifting. with low range, you will always fall on your fast in the upper rpm range.

engine isn't stock , its been built with this in mind , the previous owner had the same plan in mind , the 916 exhaust is a awesome 2-1 pipe combo , and dynoport makes full 2-1 combo's that shift the powerband where I want it .
But 1st things 1st , Gotta take it all apart , gonna get the frame sandblasted and start from there . My Favorite Holiday is Halloween so I'm thinking Black and Orange .

the 916 isn't a 2-1 pipe. it is just a single center mount silencer but still has dual expansion cambers and dual outets.

I kind of have this plan , I want the shee and the blasty to match , both Black and Orange , so once the shee is done , I'll have another full rebuild to do . I never got to do that with the blasty , it was only a partial build .

i think hes just trying to help you not make a bad choice. he obviously knows his banshee stuff.

anyway sounds like a sweet build. but please DONT put 660 plastics on it.

I already made up my mind , 660 conversion plastics from Maier , they look SAWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! Gives the Shee a totally new look . I appreciate all advice , but sh*t when its you won't like this , that will look like sh*t , this is way better cause everybody else does it like that etc etc etc , it gets old .

660 plastics look terrible on a banshee, your better of with the dual carbs, and like said 2 to 1 pipes suck. Go to bansheehq lots of advice can be given.