NEED HELP 02 Yamaha Blaster not running right

ebrady

Jul 9, 2019
Here's the story..

My uncle bought this blaster and put maybe 70 miles on it and ended up letting it sit behind a building at my house, it ran when he left it there. I decided to pull it out the other day and get it running.

About the blaster..

It's completely stock nothing has been done to it, still using the oil injectors, tors is still on, the whole 9 yards.

What I have done so far..

First, took off the gas tank - cleaned it up real good with seafoam and Lucas. Second, took the carb off soaked it in carb cleaner for at least 6 hours. Third, cleaned the oil reservoir just as I did with the gas tank. Forth, changed the spark plug.

Did just that simple maintenance on it and after the 20th or so kick is started just didn't idle at all had to stay on the throttle. Now since I know it will start, I went all out..

Changed all the fluids, I have cleaned the carb about 5 times now even replace the 2 jets, new throttle cable, took the clutch plates off and soaked them and cleaned them up soaked them in oil and put it back together (when I had it running the I went to put it in gear and it just lunged forwards as if the clutch wasn't engaging), new clutch cable.

Now I'm dealing with this...

Blaster starts with the help of started fluid at first but takes a good many kicks, still won't idle, when running it bogs down and I press the throttle and it shuts off, good bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust and some backfire.

When I replaced the throttle cable the throttle was all the way back with full range of motion but when I went to put the carb back on the throttle valve (black piece of plastic w the needle) wouldn't go in all the way. I got it to go in and the throttle had a lot of movement before the cable would catch and put pressure back on the throttle.

I'll have a new carb here Thursday and petcock hopefully and see if that helps. Any advice is well appreciated and thanks for reading!

You might have an air leak on the clutch side crank seal. I would recommend doing a leakdown test to check for any air leaks on all the gaskets and seals.

Last edited:
Have you checked the reeds? If it was running fine when parked, most likely it is the carb. I see you have purchased a carb. I'm guessing on of the cheap Chinese ones on Ebay. You will be way better of cleaning the original. Carbs don't go bad. They just get plugged up. Can you see a pinhole of light looking down the barrel of the pilot jet? If not, you need to push a small wire through there. Pull a single wire out of a wire brush.