1979 XS 400 converted to an ATC.

79xs

Jul 21, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Got the bike as it's shown in the first pic for $50 off the back of the scrap metal truck. Bought a full "rolling" rear off a blaster for $50 (second pic). Converted it to mono shock (thanks to sicivicdude telling me the dual shocks could bust off)

Bike.jpg

Swingarm.jpg

shock.jpg

1979-XS400-ATC.jpg

Last edited:
hahahaaaa, it's still got the pasenger pegs too !!!!!

recover that seat, and maybe bondo/repaint that tank and that will look pretty cool !!!!!!!!!!

Looks good i also like the shock mount better than the other i figured it would break also. But now looks fantastic, keep the yellow rear shock and redo the seat in yellow in black and paint the tank black with a yellow sticker that would be a sexy machine. You got the title? get that thing tagged and ride it around town bet you would get some looks.

I'm not saying that it looks a whole lot safer now.... but at least now it doesn't look like an engineering failure that's dangerous about it. It just looks dangerous in general! I:I

I really like the balloon tires and knobby front, looks like you could get really hurt really fast...

@1995: scrap metal truck = no title. :(

Figure that but if you think its worth it you would file for lost title but dealing with the state to get it is always a pain and cost to much and take to long

I would go for the title/registration thing too. regardless of how long it takes.

looks kinda cool, I think it may have been safer as a bike but I'm not obligated to ride it LOL