The "I said I'd never do this" Bobber Build

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
"I said I'd never ride street" :eek:
and I still may not, this may be just a custom build for flip ?
I haven't got to do a rebuild on my blaster, in 2 seasons now, and see no need to as once it was purpose built for what I do, it has survived the punishment :)

so, I got the itch build something.
I've had my eye on these jap bobbers for a few months now, and been looking for the right one.
everybody and their brother/uncle does Harleys, and most are just buy and bolt this and that on,
thats not my style.

originally I had my heart set on a Yamaha XS650, as I'll always be a Yamaha man
done right they are damn nice, very simple machines, like this.......
14918138921_f2b02de2ff_b.jpg

but lately these Honda CX500's with it's transverse engine has been catching my eye.
wiki info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series
so I told myself which ever I find a good deal on first gets some lovin :D

Today, this sweet old '79 CX500 Custom came home with me
IMG_20141122_114240965.jpg

thats right, the engine sits in there sideways and the shaft drive comes right out of the engine/trans and to the back wheel, very unique design that also has a camshaft driven plastic fan behind the radiator to draw air at idle/low speeds.
it'll get an electric fan swap

IMG_20141122_112612859_HDR.jpg

The guy i bought it off of in pittsburgh said he bought it early last year for $1100, and it had a Washington State title ?
he rode it for the last 2 seasons and said it has sat for the last 2 months and now it wouldn't start ?
the battery died while we tried to get it going today, but i took his word for it that it was something simple and bought it anyway, he just looked honest.
a battery charger, some new fuel, little shot of starting fluid and I had it purring within minutes of hitting the shop, and the battery is now staying charged,
so the guys word was golden. (not all CL buys are scams) :)
all lights and everything else works as it should except the tach, it bounces all over the place,
but it may be getting a single speedo/tach gauge anyway, or maybe a trail tech ?

I have a vid of it running and doing a burnout I'll post up in a bit.

for now, here's what I'm aiming for.... a stripped down, bare bones, cut off subframe w/ single seat, mono shock conversion, tough looking dual sport tires, short offset bars (not clip-ons), minimal fenders, and reworked possibly 2 into 1 exhaust.
I'd also like to do a disc brake on the rear, but I don't see any others doing it ?
I'll be looking hard into it.

something like these.........

this one just bid into the $3000+ range on ebay and didn't hit the guys reserve price, it did not sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161479517813?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
$_57d.jpg

so sexy :)
Transverse-V-Twin-CX-500.jpg

but these mono shock conversions give me wood :D
probably the route i'm going, this guys sales a kit, but thats back to the bolt it on harley attitude,
I see nothing I can't fab myself or I know a guy @ KOR who's a master machinist :)

c209e91729e79aa1f23ee0ccade73f92.jpg

41b5.jpg

tear down will start soon, lots of cleaning, painting, maybe some powder coating, rewiring and parts collecting before this thread takes off with the rebuild pics.

Sweet dude, iv been wanting a project bike just to make cool not even about riding it but do not have the space just yet till we get our house. Had a gs750few years ago with 4 carbs i put 4 k&n open filters on that looked cool but at the time i wasnt as interested in older bikes.

Seeing that cool green one u put up brings back that bug for a build. Staying tuned in no matter how long till ur ready

whoa, this got some interest :)

Great find!! love the 70's Honda got myself a 74 cb750 currently! Dime city cycles has great quality parts specifically for 70's Hondas bobber or café style. they are pricey but most stuff is worth it or just to get ideas for what you need!

yep, I see you got the clubman bars on that cafe, i'm leaning towards the superbike bars from DCC
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-8-inch-gloss-black-superbike-handlebars.html

is that an aftermarket single speedo/tach i spy too ?

Nothing like bringing new life and style to the old bikes.. Plus there is nothing like a one off custom bike you built yourself.

Man that is going to be a sweet build. That engine has a cool look to it. Im with demon tho that first Yamaha is the best! Not really a fan of the mono shock look. Yours will still be bad@$$

I definitely want in on this one.

i'm seeing guys mention some "triple bypass" about this engine, not sure what it is or if i need/want it ?
If I do, we know fed-ex has that route from J-town to KOR on auto pilot :)
may try to fab something like this solo seat mount myself, or may require some bridgeport work ?

596.jpg

here's some pics of this engine out, (not mine) and the camshaft mounted/driven cooling fan.

clutch cover and oil filter on the front :confused:
003.jpg

the stator is in the back, which normally would be the side
004.jpg
006.jpg

Not dead by any means :)
Just collecting parts.
So far I have mini blinkers front/rear, new front master cylinder (need to measure for SS braided line) and its official, I am going with the mono shock conversion, ordered the kaw ex650 shock and bolts over the weekend.
When that arrives I'll start tearing it down and cutting off the whole tail section to fab the new shock mounts and seat bracket. Then a full teardown for paint and engine work. I've got about 3 dfferent sets of bars chosen to buy/try. And my eye on a few custom solo seats. still need, Mac 2:1 exhaust, battery relocation box to move it underneath, new ballistic battery, possibly a complete custom wiring harness/fuse box, they are wiring, fuses and all lighting controls all in one unit to really clean up all uneccesary electronics into one unit.
Electric fan, grips, different mirrors and stop/liscence plate bracket.