18 vs 20 in rears

Apr 21, 2010
Hudson Valley
i ride trails and soon im gonna be getting new tires.... i was wondering what the advantages of 18's over 20's were and vice versa.... im either gonna get Razr2's or Holeshot GNCC editions

i can tell u that u are gonna get so many opinions here, its all about preference. me i run 18's everywhere trails, track doesnt matter i like em. some people dont like em because they claim to get hung up more but i dont see much of a difference in gound clearance on the 20 myself except alot of sidewall on a 8 inch rim. thats what i like and run and im sure others are gonna say the same thing for the 20's, all in all both will get the job done

yeah i have 20's now and they seem like theyre 2 big... but the 2 things im worried about r ground clearence bec i lost my chain guard but soon im gonna have skids.... and i hear they kill top speed... so do they help accel???

someone posted a top speed chart where you put in your gear ratio trans reduciton and all tire size. I played with it for a while and it affected the max speed like 3 to 4mph from 18 to 20 inch rear tires

Reactions: 98blasterworked
wow only that much? and im not even sure if i need skid plates.... i just want a chain guard and the old one i had fell off and bent... so idk if i wanna spend 85 bucks for a swingarm pl8....

yeah its helps 20's has more rotating mass so the more u shave off of that the more hp it equals. with the 14/40 gearing and 18's seems to be the best combo on my bike but i dont have any motor work. i dont think ive ever been hung up on a place where a 20 inch tire wouldnt have either if your on the gas hard enough its hard to get hung lol

Reactions: 98blasterworked
18's on a groomed track, 20's here in my rocky ass root infested riding area !!!!

im not sure... bec the trails i ride r pretty rough... and ive had no problems with the 20's i run now except for the fact they ripped the factory plastic heel guards off... so im gonna get nerfs and my footwells bent so... im gonna have to wait til i get the money to throw on some yfz heel guards.... just hope i dont break my leg before i put the heel guards on....

Im running ITP Holeshots MxR6's and i hate them for when i go trail riding! I get hung up on ever rut. I think you will be better with some 20 inch RAZR's or Holeshots. If you want more accel and torque just gear down. If you want more speed gear up.

If you ride where a lot of bikes ride you want taller tires because of the ruts. Where I ride there are lots of rocks and very deep ruts. Sometimes the 20's are not even enough.

i prefer my 18s on rear and 19s on front but when you down size change to a 14/40 gear it evens everything back up nicely. but like a few others said it all depends on where you ride........................good luck

rnt those the last fast trekkers in existence???? and im on 20 lumberjacks right now... plenty of clearence... but i want holeshot grip

haha i have looked alot for some more 20" with no luck :( 18's all over egay... i dont know what brand i will go with, those kenda kutters freek has are pretty sick

there is no reason for 18's if you ride trails....

18's are for MX. I would go with the 20's