yamaha dt200r water empellor/pump prob!!!????any1??

ashley marshall

Jun 28, 2014
gday all hoping some1 can help , am about ready too pull my hairout!!!!
have recently rebuilt a dt200r bored & decked too pro a 250cc its on its last bore :-{ , am having trouble with the water circulation in the radiator.. it seems to b over pressurising??!! i fill radiator up (not leaking anywere) and it just doesnt stop squirting out the overflow,(its not the cap ive bought an extra 2 i started the bike and it just empties it's self!!!!!

we are now thinking or hoping!! (or were screw'd!!!) that its a water pump/empellor prob hopefully
some1 can help or knows if its a common prob with this mod/make?? or has

Since you replaced the cap twice already I am going to say you have a blown head gasket... Check the rad to see if there are exhaust gasses in there..

Reactions: ashley marshall
Is there a possibility that the head gasket is allowing compression to enter the water jacket?

if it was wouldnt it be leaking from the water jacket into the cylinder as well??? i would think(but thn again i am a newb) it'd be leaking both ways??
or would ther be tht much compresion coming outa the cylinder to allow it to enter cyl

think u might b onto somthin blaaster,cheers for input..

Last edited:
thnks blaaster & jus_me sorry if u seen earlier post ,(im a dumb ass) kind got me head round it now have phoned anther ol-school m8m too explain it(he hadnt thought of tht though wich made me Q how knowledgable he is,lol) he dumbed it right down.
have also had a guy on another forum tell me tht theres a sequince to bolting the head down, i kinda thought as much....i didnt go round the clock, i did it like u'd put a car tyre on
ie a 5 studed rim 1,3,4,2,5 repeat ....
any further input appreciated thnk guys, cheers.!!

Last edited:
is it on the dirt bike or blaster?
does it smell like it is burning radiater fluid out the exhaust?
are the passage ways in cylinder free from flowing,proper gasket allow it to flow?
you might have put it toghther wrong,did you try opening the radiator cap while cold and starting it?

You said you bought 2 new caps and haven't tried a new one? Could be bad rad, bad cap, , clogged passage somewhere, if certain not the head gasket than it could be the pump/impeller.. Does it do it right from the start or does it need to get hot first? Why not just pop the water pump cover off and check???? Also just because its a new gasket doesn't mean it wont leak..

This may help also.. http://motocrosshideout.com/why-is-coolant-coming-out-the-overflow-tube/

Last edited:
are the passage ways in cylinder free from flowing,proper gasket allow it to flow?
you might have put it toghther wrong,did you try opening the radiator cap while cold and starting it?

nah smell like a 2 stroke,lol.smell's beaut, lol.
and nah tht was the 1st thing i check ,the cylynder n the passage ways in the h2ojacket ,they all match :)
wat do u mean by openig the rad cap while cold and starting , done it cold and hot it still leaks have bleed n refilled...&repeated with no diffrence

You said you bought 2 new caps and haven't tried a new one? Could be bad rad, bad cap, , clogged passage somewhere, if certain not the head gasket than it could be the pump/impeller.. Does it do it right from the start or does it need to get hot first? Why not just pop the water pump cover off and check???? Also just because its a new gasket doesn't mean it wont leak..

have swapped n changed cap they all do the same thing, & i have hosed rad n pipes out dont rekon there's a blockage, it does it from th start.. does get worse when it heats
and yeah i got me head round the gasket thing alot more now
but wouldnt it leak both ways?? or to much compresion out cyl??
& i suppose if i take the cover of pump it will tell me a bit more, but it'd drain and b dry in there , it shouldnt
do any damage if i kick the bike over for a sec to c ,any1????

dirt bike..

so it is possible for a water empellor/pump to sh*te its self???
andalso i had noticed theres evidence of some1 be in there before the bolt's holding it on are all diffrent!!!
i dont think tht thts how it woulda come outta the factory , looks like whoever was in there was in there a long time ago, ALSO just thinking outloud
it has been rebuilt n rebored b4 could possible the reson why it happened the 1st time (old owner)
also..me ol m8n rekon it could b the reson why it burnt the rings out on me for a 2nd time(to me)
pos 3rd time who would no ,lol. it is on its last bore i was told....

also the specs say it takes .9ltrs in the radiator & it takes 900ml so i dare say its not the radiator..

thnks blaaster & jus_me sorry if u seen earlier post ,(im a dumb ass) kind got me head round it now have phoned anther ol-school m8m too explain it(he hadnt thought of tht though wich made me Q how knowledgable he is,lol) he dumbed it right down.
have also had a guy on another forum tell me tht theres a sequince to bolting the head down, i kinda thought as much....i didnt go round the clock, i did it like u'd put a car tyre on
ie a 5 studed rim 1,3,4,2,5 repeat ....
any further input appreciated thnk guys, cheers.!!

Whoever told you to go around the clock, needs their lips sewn together.

Tensioning a head down one does not go around the clock, head bolts/nuts are tightened diagonally and incrementally( a little bit at a time).

Similar to this.

image.jpg

Whoever told you to go around the clock, needs their lips sewn together.

Tensioning a head down one does not go around the clock, head bolts/nuts are tightened diagonally and incrementally( a little bit at a time).

Similar to this.

View attachment 10698
nah!!!!!!(ididnt say any1 told me too go round the clock) i DID NOT GO ROUND THE CLOCK!! as u say.as i said and i "quote" i DID it like u would a car tyre..!!??and in even "increments"... like your saying in the pic.exept
i used a 5 star pattern as an exaple not a 6 , i went 1 to 3 to 4 to 2 thn 5....its the same/simlar as your
suggesting And i agree!! if some1 told me to go round the weiner i would want to so there lips together
and would prob tell them too (respeactfuly) stop flappin there lipps,lol
cheers for ya help m8,is appreciated...has given me a new perspestive on the situation ,cheers

I think they have test strips at auto parts for testing for combustion byproducts in coolant.
impellor is plastic, which willbreakdown/degrade over time. Pull the pump cover and inspect it. Mightnot be bad idea to just replace impellor, seal, and drive gear.

I think they have test strips at auto parts for testing for combustion byproducts in coolant.
impellor is plastic, which willbreakdown/degrade over time. Pull the pump cover and inspect it. Mightnot be bad idea to just replace impellor, seal, and drive gear.

Also check that the mating surfaces are fllat, also perform a leak down aand compression test. The dt is non power valve unlike the wr "i think".. Also i mean the rad could have a blockage in it. pull the cover and see what you got.. also are you torquing to proper spec ,studs could be streched.