Rm 250 Problem

the basket looks like the one i filed. pull the basket, file the grooved fingers. they dont need to be perfect, but it will help. smooth is what your after. like i said, its a one time repair. because if you file them again, you open the width up causing to much slop. .

I'll try that and see where it takes me. Do you happen to know how to stagger the clutch plates so that the transmission runs smoothly? You said you've had a few of these apart.

That basket does look very grooved and lots of play.

Filing it may solve the problem but it may soon happen again as there is a lot of wear.
image.jpg

Reactions: DeJay1206
i have had several apart. in the one im working on, i replaced just fibers. thats all the guy bought. oh, and new clutch springs. those will go in once he gets them to me. as for stagering, not sure what you mean besides starting with a fiber and ending with a fiber. the steals in between. good choice on running atf type f, its all i run. check on a barnett clutch basket. they have steel fingered baskets that don't wear out. see if they have them available for your bike. something to consider

i have had several apart. in the one im working on, i replaced just fibers. thats all the guy bought. oh, and new clutch springs. those will go in once he gets them to me. as for stagering, not sure what you mean besides starting with a fiber and ending with a fiber. the steals in between. good choice on running atf type f, its all i run. check on a barnett clutch basket. they have steel fingered baskets that don't wear out. see if they have them available for your bike. something to consider

The steel plates don't have to go in a certain way? On the blaster there's little humps on the steel plates that you have to stagger to get them to be geared properly.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Looks like it's time to drop some money on a new basket. Just gotta figure out how these plates go back in! LOL
it goes, inner hub, fiber, steel, fiber, steel till you end with a fiber and the pressure plate.

The steel plates don't have to go in a certain way? On the blaster there's little humps on the steel plates that you have to stagger to get them to be geared properly.
no, not on the bikes. way easier to install than a blaster.

if you havent pulled the clutch apart yet, you can, and probably should, pull them and stack them exactly the way they are in the bike. like the first fiber, pull it and lay the side that faces out, down and do the same with the steels. and so on. that way the bedded in mating surfaces stay with each other. than put them back in the reverse way they came out. keeping then in order.

Reactions: DeJay1206
I will. I am just debating on trying to file those grooves down and getting the rest of the season out of it or just getting a new basket.

use a sharp flat fine file. take the basket out the bike. if did't plan to, just making sure.

glad you don't have a dremel, you do not want to use it. it needs to be done with a flat file and some finesse. that way you don't cup the fingers. that would be bad. nice straight, even cuts with the file.

Well, took it for a little quick ride around the block. When I put it into gear from neutral it didn't slam into gear like it has been. Seems like it fixed the problem but I won't really know until I go for a longer ride.

Reactions: bansheedave