Rm 250 Problem

DeJay1206

Sep 17, 2013
Leechburg, PA
I have an rm 250 that I bought a few weeks ago. There are brand new heavy duty clutch plates that we're just installed and the shim washer wasn't installed in between the pressure plate and the thrust washer. The tusk kit the guy ordered who had the bike said to not install the washer until the clutch breaks in.

Anyway, if I'm riding and at the very bottom of any gear just coasting (not giving it throttle) it kinda jerks and sputters a little. Even in neutral it does this. Once I give it a little gas it stops doing it. And it's only at the low end of all the gears... I am going to install the shim washer and see if that's causing it, but I find it hard to believe that this is as simple as a small washer causing the problem. Please take a look at the video and let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

It sounds like you are running lean off idle, is the idle setting set as per specs?

Have you leak tested the beast? It sounds like the idle is hanging just a little.

im working on an RM250 right now for a customer. there is a coller for the clutch basket, a bearing that rides on the coller and inside the basket. on the inside of the basket is a spacer than the inner hub. the inner hub has a lock washer than the nut, thats it. if you are missing the spacer between the basket and inner hub, you need to get that in there. otherwise you will make metal and thats not good. im doing a 95 RM, not sure your yearr.

Gotta ask if you've leak tested! Sounds like its a problem at low rpm not bottom of the gear.

I set it as per specs but it wouldn't idle so adjusted it so that it would idle.

The clutch basket seems quite worn so I'm thinking that could be the problem, it's grooved up pretty bad.

The washer I'm missing is between the pressure plate and thrust bearing. It's literally the first thing you see after removing the pressure plate.

2000_10.gif
This is the 95 clutch. is it the same? what year is your bike?

Gotta ask if you've leak tested! Sounds like its a problem at low rpm not bottom of the gear.
there are so many vents in the suzuki design, leak testing these motors would be a nightmare. not saying it can't be done, just a huge pain.

It is defiantly struggling at idle, check the pilot jet, check for slide stick, float level, ect.

Have you investigated the needle setting?

Is the header pipe sealed at the cylinder, lean off idle can be caused by a leaky header pipe.

A huge pain is possibly better than a cooked piston, if possible I would firstly rule out an air leak, especially on the purchase of a used 2 stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeJay1206
I checked the header pipe and its sealed properly, I cleaned the carb thoroughly, and I haven't checked the needle setting. I guess that's the next step.

14a. I have it at the house and just have to install it. Not sure if that would cause my clutch dragging problem or not.

Even if I hold In, the clutch the motor is still engaged and hard to push.

that will cause the clutch to drag, yes. if the basket has grooves worn into it, it will cause dragging also.

hmmmm.I noticed you got one of those short gas vent lines on the tank.Loosen that puppy up to see if it is ventalating properly,Certain bikes,quads have certain problems,I did notice in your first vid you posted going up the hill it did not quite sound right.Only thing coming to my mind at this very moment is,Compression,,carb,your gas cap vent....But lets reseaarch this baaahhhh boy :)Of course air leak,bad reeds,check your carb boots.

hmmmm.I noticed you got one of those short gas vent lines on the tank.Loosen that puppy up to see if it is ventalating properly,Certain bikes,quads have certain problems,I did notice in your first vid you posted going up the hill it did not quite sound right.Only thing coming to my mind at this very moment is,Compression,,carb,your gas cap vent....But lets reseaarch this baaahhhh boy :)Of course air leak,bad reeds,check your carb boots.

I'll loosen the vent. Checked thebreeds and they were fine. Carb boots are good. You think it sounds off in that hill video? I thought the thing sounded good but what do I know about dirt bikes...

yeah it sounded ok i guess in the hill video,its hard to tell if your not the one doing it lol,mine actually sounded weird to and there was nuttin wrong with my bike,there was another person on here with a rm85 that had a problem with his to.Did you try research it online?...I did and they were saying air leak in crank seals power valves,get smaller pilot or main,and one person said thats just the way they made them? They cant put nuttin on the internet that is not true..im just curious here but nothing to do with problem but do you have a stock flywheel or did someone mod it for woods??

they cant g.gif

without the washer your clutch cant fully release,sometimes a little means alot
Yeah, I installed the washer a few minutes ago. I'll know tomorrow when I go riding if that fixed it.

yeah it sounded ok i guess in the hill video,its hard to tell if your not the one doing it lol,mine actually sounded weird to and there was nuttin wrong with my bike,there was another person on here with a rm85 that had a problem with his to.Did you try research it online?...I did and they were saying air leak in crank seals power valves,get smaller pilot or main,and one person said thats just the way they made them? They cant put nuttin on the internet that is not true..im just curious here but nothing to do with problem but do you have a stock flywheel or did someone mod it for woods??

View attachment 10682

I looked it up online, and pretty much everyone told me that it's something going on in the clutch. It's not acting like an air leak, it's just kinda jerky down low in the gears like the transmission is trying to engage. It's only when I'm not hitting the gas though. As soon as I give it even the smallest amount of gas it's perfectly fine.