going to start a build

fair enough lol i wasnt picking on your or anything, it was actually an honest question for my curiosity, im used to yz250's, this is my first two stroke quad, and coming from racing motocross on modern dirtbikes, any quad fees quick as hell because of the lack of suspension compared to a dirtbike

I started on quads. My first quad was a blaster. Totaled it. Second was a banshee, totaled that as well. Went to dirtbikes. I currently ride a modified 96 kx250. I've had several bike, 2 and 4.

I started on quads. My first quad was a blaster. Totaled it. Second was a banshee, totaled that as well. Went to dirtbikes. I currently ride a modified 96 kx250. I've had several bike, 2 and 4.

i always loved the kx, until after around 03, they were the most confortable and great power delivery, even my 88 kx250 had great power and the ultra cushy seat lol you dont see that anymore

I'm building this blaster for the fun of it. Plus if I'm not riding, working or spending time with my daughter and future wife, I need something to keep me busy.

Ran into bit of a problem. Mocking the radiator into place and my air scoops, I found my motor was sitting a bit low. So I'm back to square 1 with my mounts. Now instead of just making lower mounts and the head stay mount, I have to remake my lower templates and now, front mount templates. Oh the fun of customizing.

Got the the original front mounts cut out. New cardboard mounts designed for the head stay and front. Will try to make the bottom ones as well.

got my new mounts layed out in steel plate. need to get some new cutters before work and tomorrow will begin cutting them out.

Got the front and lower mounts made and bolted in place. They are holding the motor up just right. Just have to make the head stay mount and radiator mount. Once that's done, I will be ready to weld everything up..

Got all my motor mounts made. Just have to burn them in now. Also need to make rad mounts.

I'd move the coil to other side away from ex heat.
JMHO

I took that into consideration but the coolant lines are in the way. if I mount the coil where I plan to, the exhaust wont be an issue. I wont get heat soak into the coil. since I made the head stay mount, the coil has no where else to live so it will have to stay where I placed it.

Looking good so far and making great progress. Seems as though the sprockets lined up nicely.

Looking good so far and making great progress. Seems as though the sprockets lined up nicely.

That was one of my main concerns getting them lined up. I had to be 100% sure before I cut the swingarm. After that, everything fell into place.

I got a hold of works via facebook. the shock I picked up will be converted to a rear shock when I am ready. will be cool.

Nice clean swap! I like how you did the motor mounts like stockers versus just making them single plates

Thanks. They are fairly easy to make. My tools are a 4 and a half angle grinder with cut off wheels, a bench grinder and a bench drill press. A few hand tools, some layout die and some time. Once I finish making some mounts and weld them all in Sunday, I get to start on the rear suspension. Got some major plans in store there.

Last edited:
Thanks. More pics will be coming. I'm pretty happy with the build so far. It's coming along better than expected.

Got 90% of my mounts made. the motor, exhaust, coolent and airbox are done. Once it warms up a bit and I finish my coffee, ill be loading up all the parts and headed off to my moms to weld everything in. The other 10% will still need to be made. Have to make a mount for the rear master cylinder and plunger. Going to be making a very custom rear suspension. And yes, I will be eventually using the swingarm shop swingarm. The guy is only 20 minutes from me and he said he will work with me to make a swingarm to my needs. And once you see what I have in store, you will like it.

Last edited: