CFM aftermarket air box issue...

JAY012

Feb 27, 2014
Fredericksburg, VA
whats up guys.. i have a CFM performance air box on my 05 blaster.. last time i was able to go on a full day trip riding with friends i had to hit a few mud holes.. well eventually water and mud entered the top of the air box and sucked through the K&N air filter and destroyed my carb. when i went to clean my carb the throttle pin and sleeve was stuck in the top of carb and it took me about 45 mins and half a can of free to get it out.

anyway i was wondering if anyone who has this set up has run into this issue and has made up something to fix.. going to BUSCO BEACH in 2 weeks and would like to get this problem solved.. was thinking about taking a stock air box top and mounting it on top the CFM air box. than take it off whenever i decide to drag it..

any help would be awesome!

What about using an outerwears on the top of the airbox or on the filter or both? I am not sure if it would be 100% waterproof if you are sitting in water, but for a quick splash here and there it would help.

Last edited:
I would be running a uni air filter with it. They flow a lot better and they're a dual stage filter. I've ran through mud holes no problem and the carb was never dirty. Also once the k and n gets wet there useless. They're a paper filter.

I've never ran the outerwear skins but I've heard good things about them too.

i was actually just looking into them.. im just wondering if i can make that mount to the CFM box. those are made to stock air box specs. busco beach this time of year is usually a flooded mess on most parts. i dont plans to destroy my quad by trying to do what only 4 wheel drives should be attempting but you never know what kind of mess you could find yourself in out there.

has anyone used this to a CFM box? would be nice to know if it will work before spending $ to try it. i cant find measurements on stock set up and unfortunately like a dumb ass i got rid of my stock filter box

this was me on the blaster last go at busco beach june 2014. my brother in a raptor 660R is stuck just ahead of me trying to get out.. up until that point in the trails we had hit hardly any mud or water

Attachments

• IMG_3901.jpg
    IMG_3901.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 361
If you go to CFMs website, they sell a filter for it.

Right down the part number and try to find it else where (ebay,Amazon) because you can get it cheaper.

Reactions: jus_me
i was talking about the outerwears... i already have a uni filter in garage for a spare.

Attachments

• gallery-ehsracing-Airbox_Lids-ehs_blaster_1_main.jpg
    gallery-ehsracing-Airbox_Lids-ehs_blaster_1_main.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,109
This is the part number. Get it off ebay. It's the cheapest route. 2-Stage Straight Pod Filter Uni UP-6245ST

I have one on an air box but the air box is like a cfm but a different brand it has a lip around the top and the outerwears Velcro's to the lip. I also have a cfm but I don't have an outerwears on hat one. You would need one that has the Velcro and it would have to attach around the outside?. An outerwears made for a Blaster is for the stock airbox size and wont fit the cfm. I have a few new outerwears laying around so I will check today and see if any of them would work on the Blaster cfm box.

Reactions: JAY012
Also....what you first suggested, running with lid on, then off, will require rejetting, as the airflow will be drastically different between the 2.

I have one on an air box but the air box is like a cfm but a different brand it has a lip around the top and the outerwears Velcro's to the lip. I also have a cfm but I don't have an outerwears on hat one. You would need one that has the Velcro and it would have to attach around the outside?. An outerwears made for a Blaster is for the stock airbox size and wont fit the cfm. I have a few new outerwears laying around so I will check today and see if any of them would work on the Blaster cfm box.

i really appreciate that! please let me know if any of them will work!

Also....what you first suggested, running with lid on, then off, will require rejetting, as the airflow will be drastically different between the 2.

i have only been riding with the lid on.. but the CFM dies not have a typical cover lid. it is slotted down both sides from front to back. quad is jetted but im almost sure its way to big of a jet. im going to break it down again and re jet before the trip

the CFM dies not have a typical cover lid. it is slotted down both sides from front to back

yep, I run one.
I was refering to your asking could you put the stock lid on it..............

was thinking about taking a stock air box top and mounting it on top the CFM air box. than take it off whenever i decide to drag it..

a stock lid would change airflow and require rejetting.
IF....it was jetted with the stock lid on, it would need richened up before running without it.
IF....jetted with the stock lid off, you'd be safe to put it on, as long as it's not too rich and fouling plugs.

I'm with the others, the K&N was letting the dirt/water thru, a properly oiled foam filter would suit that riding better, with an outerwears on the filter or the outerwears cover for the box itself.

yep, I run one.

IF....it was jetted with the stock lid on, it would need richened up before running without it.
IF....jetted with the stock lid off, you'd be safe to put it on, as long as it's not too rich and fouling plugs.

I'm with the others, the K&N was letting the dirt/water thru, a properly oiled foam filter would suit that riding better, with an outerwears on the filter or the outerwears cover for the box itself.

ahhhh ok i got you now.. i will def take the k&n off and use the uni filter. what do you oil those types of filters with? i have always used and only used K&N filters.

also if i use the uni filter oiled right and the outerwear on the CFM box what jet would you recommend me using?

specs...

240 BBK
3 MIL stroke
72mm piston
fmf powercore 2 exhaust
oil block off
+1 front sprocket
CFM air box
stock carb (for now)
pingel pet weiner
v force 3 reed

i have a pwk keihin carb coming in but wont be here in time for this trip

yep, I run one.

what outerwears cover can i use? do you have a model or part number??

any of the foam filter oils will work....maxima and PJ1 are the ones I use.
do not use the K&N oil on a foam filter, or vice versa.

jetting a stock carb for that setup ?
thats a tough one, most go to a larger 33-35mm keihin carb for a 240 stroker build
once you get the keihin..... #6 slide, 48-52 pilot, CEL needle, 155-162 mains are good starting points.

what outerwears cover can i use? do you have a model or part number??

I do not, don't run one myself, but have seen them