Blaster is Backfiring

First hello there!

Just throwing this thought out there, I just built an 03 that i bought in boxes after it caught on fire and am having the same problem. I noticed a couple of broken/cracked magnets on the fly wheel, Could the magnets be cuasing it?

GOT IT! Pulled the Flywheel and the Woodruff key was laying inside. Also bumped the Main down to 250, Runs great.. May fiddle with the carb today to get it dialed in. May try a 260.

GOT IT! Pulled the Flywheel and the Woodruff key was laying inside. Also bumped the Main down to 250, Runs great.. May fiddle with the carb today to get it dialed in. May try a 260.

Did the key just get pushed up when you slid the flywheel on or was the key sheered? Are you still running the +4 timing advance? At any rate, 250 is a decent starting point but CONFIRM it with a plug chop to make sure you aren't running rich or lean. Glad to hear you got the Blaster back into commission though. I:I Live and learn. B)

Key was just laying inside the flywheel against magnets. I may try going both up and down on the main, try a 240 and then a 260. But yes I left the advance at plus 4

Key was just laying inside the flywheel against magnets. I may try going both up and down on the main, try a 240 and then a 260. But yes I left the advance at plus 4

I'd do a plug chop on the 250(or even 260) first as you could be running lean(probably not) and bumping down to a 240 will run you leaner. You probably aren't, but always favor the side of caution first. Swapping out a main jet is a lot easier(well I don't know....somewhat easier) than rebuilding a top end.

thru a 260 in seems to be doing great. My new handle bars were binding the throttle cable so thats where the funny idle was coming from but seems to be great. I am going to run a Plug chop and see what that gives me. But as long as its not lean Im leaving it due to the fact I have a FMF Fatty coming in on Wed. Also putting in a set of Reeds and reed spacer.

thru a 260 in seems to be doing great. My new handle bars were binding the throttle cable so thats where the funny idle was coming from but seems to be great. I am going to run a Plug chop and see what that gives me. But as long as its not lean Im leaving it due to the fact I have a FMF Fatty coming in on Wed. Also putting in a set of Reeds and reed spacer.

Once that fatty comes in, you will have to bump up even more, but plug chop away.....always fun to get the experience with it. I:I

thats how we all feel when we mod our bike. i cant rely on a mechanic unless its ken for porting other than that i do it all myself and at the end i pat myself and babble it to my gf.. shes like ummmm ok honey.. how u like my nails? o_O lol

Glad you found your problem, I also wanted to ad my o2 about spark plugs.. copper has the best conductance of electricity, (besides silver, that's the reason why wires are made of copper) the only advantage of have any other plug is for length of life. Copper has a better conductive properties and even though they don't last as long, they are cheap enough to buy plenty of them so your engine always has a new plug. Id rather change out a BETTER cheaper plug than leave a more expensive longer lasting plug in.

Glad you found your problem, I also wanted to ad my o2 about spark plugs.. copper has the best conductance of electricity, (besides silver, that's the reason why wires are made of copper) the only advantage of have any other plug is for length of life. Copper has a better conductive properties and even though they don't last as long, they are cheap enough to buy plenty of them so your engine always has a new plug. Id rather change out a BETTER cheaper plug than leave a more expensive longer lasting plug in.

Yep, same with platinum. Iridium plugs however are the best of both worlds, but so damn expensive they aren't worth it. I've never even had a standard plug fail me yet, so I can't complain.