Blaster is Backfiring

Just in case anyone know if you can get a replacement timing key at a hardware store? or if dealerships typically cary this in stock?

That's hit or miss. Every hardware store I have checked and auto parts stores only carry standard sized woodruff keys. In other words you would have to buy one and grind it down....kind of a pain in the arse to get perfect.....I wouldn't do it......even though I did. 8-| Some people said their dealers had it in stock.....mine didn't and had to order it in. If gas prices make it to the point where it costs more to drive there and pick it up, then I'd get a hold of Ken O'Connor.....he has some leftover and can get them to your door for a good shipping rate at a good price. PM Ken IF you need a key.

Very True. Just wish I could figure this damn thing out

Hey man, it's like a mystery......we all love the intrigue of them. I:I Plus once you find out what's going on you walk away with that much knowledge from that point forward. Every little thing is a learning experience even if you do throw a crescent wrench through a window X( ........been there done that. :D

Alright will do. Guess I will just play the waiting game until I get to my Quad in the afternoon. Lets say key is good....Then what?

Put the timing back to where it was stock, put the flywheel back on and try running it again and see how it runs. If it still runs poorly, buy a plug and replace the one you have. It TYPICALLY doesn't happen, but it is possible to be running such a rich main that the fuel is being expelled at such a large quantity that is more ept to cause a backfiring issue. A 270 main with a stock pipe seems pretty rich to me. I doubt it's causing the backfiring though. If it's pig rich, it will simply stutter/sputter and not backfire(usually). Seeing as how you really have is a silencer which does nothing other than offer a little less restriction out the tail and the uni filter, 250 is probably more along the lines where you need to be with a main, but you won't know until you do a plug chop.

the exhaust leak wouldnt cause it to back fire and run like sh*t. like everyone is saying its prolly the key. u mightve rushed into doing the mod and forgot about the key. and or ur jetting is off. maybe u could try riding it with the lid cover back on. see how it runs then

everytime i get a big backfire issue like that its due to being too lean or a major air leak..(usually the head come out of spec and sucks air)..re torque the head and make sure your base gaskest hasnt failed and torque those nuts as well also torque the reed cage and make sure you have the hose clamps to the carb tight... i personally today rebuild an +03 with your exact mods but with a new top end with bore and hone and it was running like crap and backfiring till i dropped a 290main jet in (mind you im at 5600ft elev.) im thinking you are rather lean..also use a Ngk br8eg plug rather than the br8es (me and the godfather have been using and like that plug since its a bit more reliable with modded bikes and never ever fouls) gap it to .030. also dont be scared to mess with the air screw on the carb sometimes if its too loose it makes the bike act funny..if these suggestions dont fix your bike i will personally let you borrow my 450r for the weekend so u can ride

Well Here is what I plan on doing. I plan pulling the flywheel first to check and make sure they key is intact, Then if its good Im going to Check the reed cage and carb for air leaks, Then do a plug chop. I have to get this thing going. Im lost.

check and see if ur reeds are bad in the intake too. although ive never heard those back fire when bad but its worth a shot since u''ll be having the carb off anyway when u rejet. see if the reeds are bad or cracked, loose, or perhaps FELL in the motor

the br8es is a very cheaply made plug..ive come across several factory duds in my days..some times when they get hot once they act like they short out and have a miss... i highly suggest a br8EG at .030..costs 7 bucks but its the last plug you will need for a very long time

10 out of 10 ppl I've heard recommended BR8es. Not saying ure full of it or anything but ure the 1st person to suggest a plug other than the BR8es. I ran it for as long as I owed my blaster (4 mos) nd never fouled a plug