2000 Blaster Frame Up Build

Ok, I know Jbweld is not the most approved method of repair. However, I was examining my right side case today and the notch where the clip goes for the kick start assembly is missing a very small piece. I'm thinking this may be why the PO did not put the clip back on the kicker. It looks like the ear would just slip out of the hole. I'll post a picture of the damage in the morning. I'm thinking for the time being, I could drill a very small hole, put in a small anchor, and finish it flush with Jbweld. I actually got this idea from how my dentist fixed a broken molar. He drilled a small hole in my tooth, used an anchor, and rebuilt the missing section of molar. It's held up for 5 years of eating. So I'm wondering if this will work for the case?

Your teeth don't move at 8500 rpms!! (At least I hope not)

Sorry I couldn't help but take that jab at ya.

Put up a pic of it. If everyone see's it, I'm sure we can give you an honest opinion.

Your teeth don't move at 8500 rpms!! (At least I hope not)

Sorry I couldn't help but take that jab at ya.

Put up a pic of it. If everyone see's it, I'm sure we can give you an honest opinion.

I'll let you have that one. I set myself up for it. I wouldn't consider it on a moving part, but I think it may work here. I'll put a picture up in the morning.

Reactions: dirtysquared
Ok here is the picture of the damage to the case. The piece missing is about the size of a pencil eraser. It actually looks worse in the photo than when looking at it. I did find a shop that said they could weld a bead on it and then I would have to use a file to shape it. Let me know what you guys think.
image.jpeg

Ok here is the picture of the damage to the case. The piece missing is about the size of a pencil eraser. It actually looks worse in the photo than when looking at it. I did find a shop that said they could weld a bead on it and then I would have to use a file to shape it. Let me know what you guys think.View attachment 26526
How much they gonna charge? Right side cases are easy to find and pretty cheap compared to the left side.

Filed the grooves out of the original clutch basket. It wasn't as bad as I first thought.
image.jpeg
I'm going to hang on to the other one as a spare.

Going to pull the engine tomorrow and take it to get the case welded where the tab is cracked off. Found a guy local to do it for a couple beers. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for new levers? I still have cable brakes and plan on keeping them as long as they work.

image.jpeg
Ok, my replacement carb just came in the mail. I have everything setup for when the TORS Eliminator kit comes later this week. I know the nipple closest to the choke is the fuel line inlet. However, I don't know what goes to the nipple on the bowl. Is this a vent, or does it need to be blocked off? What goes here?

image.jpeg
More parts arrived today. I'm going to be installing the TORS delete kit tonight and I also received a Silicon Nitride ball bearing for the clutch rods. Nor more worries of a welded ball.

Reactions: Iwantablaster
Ok, it seems the more I repair, the more I find wrong. Today I assembled the kick start assembly, installed the clutch and then put the cover back on. I figured this would be a good time to do a compression test since I would be able to kill two birds with one stone. Test the rebuilt kick starter and check pressure. So all is well until... SNAP! No more kick start spring. On a positive note the Compression is good. I pulled it back apart and sure enough, the spring had busted. So with that done I decided to pull the stator and prep that side for when the new OEM stator arrives later this week. Well to my surprise, or not to my surprise, since nothing surprises me with this bike anymore... The reason the stator didn't work was because one of the coil screws came out and stuck to the magnet. This screw caused the coil to move and the red/black wire to break at the solder joint. I ohm the coil for sh*ts and giggles and the coil tested out at 220 ohms. I'm going to rebuild this stator and keep it as a spare. However, upon pulling the flywheel off I found there was no woodruff key. Whoever pulled it apart before never put it back. So another part was added to my current shopping list. Here are pics from today's discoveries.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
After rebuilding my original stator, I've decided to sell the one I purchased for the build. It's an 88-02 OEM stator. If anyone wants it, let me know. I've also posted a for sale thread for it. Asking $75

Ok, so over the last 3 weeks a lot has happened that slowed my build. My wife broke her phone (had to buy a new screen), I got the flu, and my children's step father committed suicide. So now with full custody of my 3 children, life has been very busy. Anyway, I'm finally back at it. I got everything sorted out and found my weak spark problem. Two of the magnets in the flywheel are broken. One of them is practically destroyed and only being held in by the glue and screws. I'm ordering a flywheel off eBay and crossing my fingers that it will start once it is installed.