XR500R Supermoto Build

OConnor Racing

Mines Bigger
Technician
Dec 1, 2009
CT
www.kenoconnorracing.com
I’m a sucker for a great deal. I just picked up Tarmos 1984 XR500R for a song. He snapped his leg on it last year and wants nothing to do with it. I quit riding off road bikes a long time ago but this ride is begging to be a supermoto. I’ll try to post some pics this week and keep updating as progress continues. Here’s what I have in mind:

Tarmo put less than 5 hours on the new engine so I’m running it like it is. It rips!
CR 500 inverted forks and clamps.
Oversize rotors
17” x 4.25” 36 spoke rims with Michelin tires
CR 500 rear wheel and brakes. Drums have no use on the road.
Acerbis supermoto front and rear fenders.
Acerbis front light.
Harley Davidson Horn!!!!!
100watt lighting coil.

Should be a fun project and I’m sure it will open a few new doors.
Stay tuned.

those old big bore Honda XR's and XL's would rip. i used to own a 85 XL600 back in the day. it would hit 105 mph with zero mods.

Slight change of plans. After taking a look at the cost to make the XR500 street legal, I started looking for other options. I ended up picking up an XR400 10 days ago. Tarmo, myself, and Ron Bushy started cutting, welding, wiring and tuning. Here’s what we ended up with.

CBR rims, brakes and tires mounted to the XR frame.
Baja Designs turn signals and front plate.
Pro circuit pipe.
New shift lever and foot pegs
Acerbis front fender, side panels and rear fender. I’m running the black for inspection but have a new white one I’m installing after the DMV cops inspect it.
GS 750 key switch. This was a very cool mod. The bike won’t start without a key and once you turn it on, all the lights work. Thanks Tarmo!!!!!!
Battery mounted in the air box.
DRZ 400 rear foot pegs.
Bar end mounted mirrors.
Vapor speedo and tach.
Brand new Michelin tires.
I plan on building the stock engine over the winter. I just want to get some riding in before the winter hits. I’m thinking a big bore, stroker 465 build. I’m taking it to the DMV on Wednesday to get it registered. The rules for getting a dirt bike registered in CT are pretty tight but I think we have it figured out. The rear fender extension is a requirement in CT. 14” from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender. Looks gay as hell but we’re working on it. The reflectors are also a requirement. More stupid looking crap but it will keep the law off my ass. The Pro Circuit exhaust is also going to be sketchy. The tag said “off road use only”. We drilled the tag off and Tarmo made me a custom exhaust plug. It looks factory and quiets the bike down quite a bit. I’ll be tossing it in the trash as soon as we get done with inspection. I’m stupid busy so the wife sent pics to Awk to post. Thanks Awk!

Looking good ken !

Lets see how these pics work thru photobucket from my phone.?
my Puter is down right now, hope there sized reasonably? ......

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Reactions: BanzaiBlaster
Nice, yeah a few things need to go after inspection!

Btw, about posting those pictures being the "right size" Whether from phone or computer the size wont change, its all in the original picture size. Say a GoPro, we all know those pictures are huge, and every one i take is with my ipod, you can re-size in photo bucket, but otherwise its always at the cameras settings.

what wheels are those they looks pretty nice i have a xr650l that i would love to put those on my bike