Worst dune trip ever !

timsyfz

avoiding the DNR Nazi !
Mar 26, 2008
Mid Michigan
Man this weekend sucked... Spent a ton of $$$ and months of planning for a great weekend at the dunes....

Well Friday we got there at about 2:00 unloaded at the campground, and headed to the dunes... It was looking pretty good until I get to the gate, and find my buddy's wife got stopped cause she didnt have her drivers license ! ? Huh well thats a new rule... So her and her hubby go back to get it, and the rest of us go in... I get stopped for sound check..... Woohoo 97db ! (limit is 98, and I swore I saw a 100 on her monitor), so I was figuring a great ride for the day... Decent ride day on friday, and my wife even made it up test hill for the 1st time. That was awesome ! However when my buddy came back with his wife he could not get his YFZ up Test hill.... Huh well we went back and did some troubleshooting, and found his clutch was adjusted all the way in, and his oil was super high... So we made a few adjustments, and didnt fix it... Well we were 1 quad down cause he could barely get his quad around the place so he was bummed out...

We ended the day with most having a decent ride, and went back, and had dinner about 10... After we decided to fix it the next day..

The next morning we headed out to the dunes about 8, and we immediately tore into the clutch of the YFZ to find his clutch was smoked... So we got it back together by 10 ish, and headed out.... Well some DNR nazi woman was turning away 4 of 10 machines for everything she could.... She stepped on my hitch, and bent the tab I have there for my sway bar. Well she immediately got on me for my spark arrestor... It was legal (ish), and it was good enough for the guy the day before so I thought I was set.... Well I got turned away.. Went back to the trailer, and did some modifications, and even put my quiet core in.... For good measure... I went back in, and was in a different line, and this dnr nazi left her line to go straight for my truck (quad was still in back), and I got out, and confronted her about stepping on my hitch, and she lied to my face about it even though my whole group saw her. She then refused to believe my quad was legal even though there is a big USFS sticker on the side, and so she turned me around again. About 5 minutes later (after I stuffed my quad back into my trailer) another DNR officer confronted me, and said she accused me of calling her a name, and being unruly, at the check in station... After a long, and semi loud conversation about that dnr nazi I informed him I am going to report her, and I wanted her name.... Officer Flack (ironic). So I took my truck in, and decided to throw Landons in my truck, and ge rode in with me.... As we were getting in past test hill I was going up a smaller hill on my way to the drag strip, and some idiot in a rental quad come flying over the hill right toward me... I swerved to avoid him, and ended up in a divot... My truck literally jumped it I guess, and landons bumper ended up on my roof, and it ended up nearly falling out of my truck... Needless to say the riding mood was gone so I went back to hang out with the wife for a while.... Landon, Jake, and our friends headed back out while i hung out with the wife... Pretty fumed up... We were out hanging, when we decided to drive by the parking lot at the dunes... We saw the guys flags near the trailer so we stopped in to see how it was going.... Well as we pulled up Landon was checking out his quad, and I knew something was up.... Well his master link snapped off, and his "case saver" didnt save anything. In fact it seem to make the damage worse when it slammed into his case side, and broke his case..... Well the weekend was going just wonderful..... It was a great weekend now, and I was reconsidering buying a cabin out there at this point....
Sunday came, and we all slept in, went to the beach , and just hung out until time to load up.... Well when they went to get my enlcosed trailer from the storage area they found someone trying breaking into my trailer... Thanks to good locks, and sturdy doors they didnt get anything..... All I needed was to blow up my truck on the way home to complete our weekend....

Sorry for the long post.... Im sure I will fill in more details as this thread continues....

That is a sh*tty weekend. When I went there in May it wasn't too bad. I got stopped on my way in for sound and hit 108. I tried 30 mins later and the same guy just waved me in. When I got sound checked there was a pretty cute girl doing the testing who was around my age. Maybe she put in a good word for me, since I was trying to be nice to her aka spit game haha.

When I like to do it up right I guess. Worse part is... We just got that motor finished, and and broken in.... Now we get to take it down again, and replace cases....

I think this racing season is a bust.... Oh well we have 3 extra months of prep for next season!

that dnr nazi sh*t really makes me appreciate the free for all, no holds barred, run what ya brung, loud and proud, no nazi mountian i ride on, and to think i always dreamed of goin to the dunes someday < not any more
busco beach was dune enuf for me !!!!! the only rule was the 5mph speed limit in the camping area

Yeah this was a Baldwin Case saver.... Freeks are made out of UHMW or whatever that plastic crap is.... I wis he made those for a YFZ... That plastics absorbs a blow instead of aggravating it..

so i dont get it, they kept sending you back to the truck or camp because they said your pipe was to loud after you still put the core in it? llol

i dont see why it really matters if your quad is a couple DBs over, once a lot of quads are going WOT and all have relitivly loud pipes, its going to be loud as shat, even no 97 isnt THAT loud

man, i woulda left before the final half of that crap, i woulda given the DNR nazi the finger, and got the frik outta there, ugh, i hate people like the dnr nazi, thats why i go to parks like the badlands, no DNR sh*t to deal with

so i dont get it, they kept sending you back to the truck or camp because they said your pipe was to loud after you still put the core in it? llol

i dont see why it really matters if your quad is a couple DBs over, once a lot of quads are going WOT and all have relitivly loud pipes, its going to be loud as shat, even no 97 isnt THAT loud

it was the spark arrestor not the sound.

the whole license thing is pretty bs. i was up there two weeks ago and they made me carry it. im out there in riding pants and a tee, where the hell am i supposed to put it?? as for the spark arrestor deal, i actually did have a USFS screen in my silencer, except it was an insert for a bike muffler, but is the exact same thing? they deemed it 'unacceptable' bc i had modified my exhaust? WTF?? so i was forced into buying one of those cobra spark arrestors which is just robberyX( its getting ridiculous

wait, spark arresters in the sand ????, last time i checked, if you throw a bucket of sand onto a campfire, it will extinguish it ??????????????

wtf do they think is gonna catch fire in sand dunes ????????????????