Won't run, need top end?

H

hifiwasabi

Two weeks ago I took my Blaster out for the first ride of the season and it ran well for a stocker. A couple days later I tried to take it riding again and it would start and idle, but would die once you touched the throttle. I cleaned the carb, changed the plug and just today I put in V-force reeds, K&N filter and am about to rejet but now it wont start. It'll fire a couple of revolutions but won't catch. I'm starting to lean towards a worn top end but I don't have a compression test gauge handy and I removed the TORS system. Just curious what you fellars think.

Sean

yes, i would do a compression check! you can rent one at auto zone, and you'll get your money back!!

I just removed the switch in the thumb throttle. I've been trying to do research on the 2003 and up Blasters and the TORS system but haven't really come up with much. What exactly is the CDI box and where would I find it?

Sean

its under the hood its a black box follow the wires from the carb to the cdi and cut them there and then splice them together it will start i will lay money on it..or try splicen the wires that u disconnect i bet it runs..the tors brain is in the cdi box on newer models u cant take it out take parkin brake lines off thumb throttle and to the carb..all are not needed

Hey bigdblaster, could you give more details on what to do with the TORS system when you switch to an aftermarket carb? I've read about removing the TORS system, but I've never heard that you had to splice the wires back together. Is that only necessary on newer models?

only ness on newer models what yr u got im not sure exact yr they started the tors brain in the cdi 03 and up dont hold me to that yr though if u look under ur hood and see a small black box above the cdi then u got a brain if not it was either taken off or its in the cdi if its in the cdi u have to splce the wires

Hooked the TORS back up temporarily to do more trouble shooting and now the damned thing actually starts and run, so yes, you were right about having to jump wires on the CDI box. Everything works now and it idles fine, but it still misses and runs rough as hell when you throttle into it. I'm starting to wonder if the CDI box is faulty or if theres something else going on. I'm bringing home my multimeter from work so I can do some more troubleshooting tomorrow.

I'm pretty positive its not in the carburetor, I reassembled it so that it was the same setting when I took it off. The first run of the season everything worked well, but now it seems like once it starts to get near the mid-range it pulls out timing so the revs don't build, thats what makes me wonder about the CDI box or something going on in the magneto...

could be check ur reeds and jets ..and fastlane is correct ur needle could be at wrong setting so if u let us know what range its missin at well help..check ur reeds though for warps or cracks i bought a brandnew set and road in cold weather less then 8 hours and they were shot.check ur plug and ur plug gap ..28-.30 i think is correct

Thanks for the info bigdblaster. My blaster is a 1995 and I do have the little black box under the front dash. Does this mean I just have to remove the box and disconnect all the wires? I'm planning to switch to an aftermarlet carb, so I'll need to remove the TORS.

Spent last night fiddling around with all the electrical system and it turned out to be a faulty parking brake switch. Unplugged it and took it for a little spin down the street to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it runs like a top. I took it out tonight after work for an hour and a bit and no problems. I still need to rejet the carb up a size, but it feels stronger now then it did before.