Winter preparation/ driving in the snow

Ak2stroke

Jul 7, 2011
Wasilla alaska
Just a quik question about what I need to do to be able to drive my wheeler in the snow I live in alaska and it gets cold my quad is stored in a garage and I have heard of two strokes not running right or worse frying top ends when driven in the snow any help would be great thanks.

oh for mods all I have is 14/40 gearing and vito's dual stage carbon reeds

depending on just how cold it gets you will need to jet up. you will fry your engine fast if you run at too cold a temp without jetting for it. also you want to be careful about sitting in one spot spinning like a mofo.

X-2 on jetting. Also I would use a good sno-mo oil, be sure it's suitable for either injection or pre-mix, depending on what you run. My son melted his Blasturd on the lake, don't know if from jetting that was good for about 20-25* f , it was below0*f, or if the oil got to thick for the pump. Wide open in 6th. Might have been -10f that day.

mostly just going to be driving back and fourth to work about a mile and a half, would polaris snowmobile oil work my quad is oil injected so is my broke sled and I have 5 quarts of that is just sitting around. What is the stock jet size in the blaster? Oh and I plan on running my mostly bald stock tires with chains

That oil should be fine. Be VERY careful with chains, they aren't made for speed of any kind, centrifical force will make them grow in dia and rip your leg off.

That oil should be fine. Be VERY careful with chains, they aren't made for speed of any kind, centrifical force will make them grow in dia and rip your leg off.

be VERY careful with chains, i had a chain come off into my leg on my LT230 and trust me it really hurts, just put studs in your tires or get some really aggressive tires, on my blaster i use BKT wings with no studs and there great for snow, there just a little heavy

You should change out the summer air for winter air .

Bwahahahahahaha!! Funny stuff.

I second the studs thing...chains are good for a 4x4 quad that you're going to take out on the ice for ice fishing or to plow your driveway. Both of these uses you won't be spinning the tires very fast or going very fast. If you want to go fast on the ice, remove the chains!! The chains do help with grip not only as they dig into the ice but they are paddles themselves but they're not meant for going fast at all.

For going fast, studs are the key. If you go cheap you can use hex heads from the hardware store but spend the extra money for ice studs and they'll stay in the tire better and grip the ice better as well as they're hardened and have a special shape to them that cuts into the ice well.