will not stay running

2manyprojects

Nov 26, 2009
canandaguia ny
I just bought a blaster in a box. Got it all toghter. It has a keilihn carb and I think a big bore kit. I can get it started and runs great for about 10-15 min then cuts out and dies. Cant restart it. I am thinking stator does this sound right?

that COULD be the stator.. but im not sold on that idea yet.. like.. how is it dying out? is it sputtering? or is it just suddenly cut and dry boom off.

it could be a number of things.. depends on how it dies out. get me a description about how it acts when it's about to die, and ill hypothesize

hypothisizing too, haha..............could be a number of things, carb/floats sticking, loose grounds/connections, coil/plug wire, have you try'd a different plug, hows your gas/mixture, choke on/off ????
but sounds like it's heat related????

okay I have good compression, I got antsy and pulled apart my engine, it has a weisco crank and I am gonna guess weisco piston but I can't find any size stampings on it. runs great before it dies but I can't even get it to start now which is why I pulled it apart. I guess I will buy new rings and the stator is in the mail so that solves at least 2 problems. If it was a ground would I even be able to get it started? I thought of fuel also so I pulled the carb after it died and the bowl was full. I am running 32:1. Tried a coil off my stock blaster and no change still died. Any thoughts are helpfull, so thank you for all your help so far.

i would start with the more simple stuff..

blaster in a box huh?

1) could be bad fuel?
2) agreed a clogged jet or carb issue.
3) did u check compresson BEFORE you took the engine apart?
4) fouled plug?
5) check for grounds and lose wires..

i say this because if it STARTED AND RAN. chances are it something minor.. sounds stupid but as a car tech we always start with the basics.
a) spark
b) fuel ( also that fuel could have been in there before you got it if its used )
c) compression..
good luck and keep us posted..